9.09.2010

Family Bonding!

Had some family bonding yesterday with my mom and my sister.  We went to Shipshewana, Indiana.  If you’re not from the Midwest, you’ve probably never heard of it.  Shipshewana is a primarily Amish and Mennonite town, with the main draws (at least in my family!) being the flea market, downtown shops, the meat market and the fried chicken.   

First stop for the women of our family was the flea market.  It was pretty calm, being a cooler, windy day.  On a hot summer day, this place is an absolute zoo.  The flea market is pretty awesome – granted, there are the “shirts and socks” tables which we bypass quickly, but there were some quality things to be found!  My sister bought the deal of the day, this set of three kitchen canisters in awesome teal for only $6!



Some of my flea market finds were from the “As Seen on TV” booth.  I don’t normally go for things like this, but they had Ped Egg replacements (do you have a Ped Egg?  If not, get one.  If you keep up with it regularly, you’ll be able to completely take pedicures out of your monthly budget.  It works – I promise!).  While I was paying a whopping $2 for those, I saw these produce saver bags.  I have no idea if they work, but for $2 I figured why not try and see?  If they can make my stinking mushrooms last more than two days, I’d be ecstatic!  I’ll try them out and post a review on here to let you know if they’re worth it or not.



My favorite bargain purchase was the world’s cutest dress-up outfit for our niece.  She’s three and a half and would wear a dress every day of the year if her mama would let her.  Isn’t it adorable?  And there's a little headpiece that will be the icing on her cake!                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                                                        


After a quick stop in the farmer’s market section to pick up fresh fruit and veggies, along with some hardy mums, we headed to lunch at The Blue Plate (helllllllo fried chicken!).  Post lunch, we hit some of the downtown shops.  They seemed way over priced after hours at the flea market!   Here, I tend to take pictures of all of the things I’d like to re-create in my hobby-ing time.  Such as :
Embroidered dish towels.  $10 each.  Yowza!



Letter tags hanging on old-fashioned hooks.  $5.95 for each tag, plus the hooks...

I literally loved this.  But it cost $495, and we had no way to transport it.  Someday, I will have something like this!
 Final stop was the general store and the meat market.  I saw some early 
birthday gifts being purchased (so many kitchen goodies at the general store!  Microplanes...mortar and pestle...French whisks...oh my!).  My mom was so bummed when the meat market didn’t have any hams left, but I managed to get some goodies.  I can’t wait to make homemade bread with flax seeds and top it with that pumpkin butter! 

 








No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]