11.14.2010

Whole Wheat English Muffins

I've decided that when I grow up (ahem!), and have lots of out-of-town friends and relatives staying with us, I'll get up before everyone else, and make these delicious English Muffins.  They are that good, the loss of two hours of sleep would totally be worth it.  

This is a recipe I've tweaked a bit since I started making these.  There's pretty little hands-on time required, but every second of it is completely worth it.  



Whole Wheat English Muffins

Ingredients:
2 tsp. active dry yeast 
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 cup warm water (divided into halves) 
1/2 cup warm milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cups bread flour
2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt


Directions
  • Mix together the yeast, sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl.  Whisk together, cover with a towel, and let sit for five minutes.
  • Add in remaining 1/2 cup warm water, and 1/2 cup warm milk.  Whisk, cover, and let sit for five additional minutes.

  • While it's fermenting, in a large bowl, combine your flours and salt.  Also, grease a medium size bowl. 
  • Slowly add in the liquids into the flour mixture and stir until combined. 
  • Gently pour out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth (roughly 6-7 minutes).  Place dough into greased bowl.
  • Cover the bowl with plastic warp and top with the towel.  Allow to rise in a warm place (on top of the refrigerator or in the oven with the oven light on), for at least 90 minutes, or until doubled (I estimate, ha!).
  • On a lightly floured surface, pour out the dough, deflate slightly, and roll it into a rope (an inch or two thick, doesn't need to be precise).  
  • Divide the dough into 8-9 equal pieces.  Roll them into balls, and place on a baking sheet.  (I line mine with parchment or wax paper to keep them from sticking).  Place another baking sheet on top of the muffins, and let rise 20 minutes.  
  • Set an electric griddle to 300 degrees.  Grease it well, then place each of the disks onto the griddle.  Allow to cook until browned (about 10 minutes), then flip and cook until browned.  
  • (This is where I test the internal temperature, because I'm not really a baker, I just pretend to be.  They should have an internal temp. of about 200 degrees.  If you're a little bit short, pop your oven on and bake them another five minutes until they are done through). 
  • Cool on a wire rack, or split and eat them all while they're still warm from the griddle! 
Hello!  Isn't your mouth just watering?  They scream out for some yummy pumpkin butter.  They also freeze WONDERFULLY (just be sure to split them in half before freezing!).  I wrap them in plastic wrap, then just slid them into a big freezer bag.  To use, just pop them apart and then into the toaster.   I use these to make the hubby's "McMJ's"  (McMuffins...except by me, MJ...we're so lame!).  Just fry up an egg and a piece of ham, and you have a delicious and nutritious breakfast that can be eaten on the morning commute.    Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I just found your blog and I enjoyed reading through your posts.
    The english muffins look wonderful, I'll have to try making them sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made you english muffins! They aren't as pretty as yours, but are very yummy. I used the stove top to cook on medium low and it worked well. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]