Enter: Banana Bread. I have always loved banana bread. Ever since I was a kid at daycare, eating it warm from the oven, covered in butter (*sigh* the days when I could enjoy dairy), banana bread has been one of my favorites. But now, as a health conscious adult, knowing what all of the terrible things that refined sugar and butter/butter substitutes do to our bodies, I've been searching for and testing "healthy" banana bread recipes.
You can make healthy banana bread, but it really doesn't taste that good.
However, there is hope. I found a decent recipe that, after
Are you ready?
Banana Applesauce Bread
1/3 cup cinnamon applesauce
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
[optional: 1 extra Tbsp. of agave nectar for a little extra sweetness]
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe bananas [two larger bananas]
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup bread flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup [almond] milk
1/3 cup of walnuts/dried fruit/chocolate chips, etc
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease loaf pan.
2. Combine applesauce, oil, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs until creamy. Add in bananas.
3. Stir in the flours and salt.
4. In separate bowl, dissolve the baking soda into the milk. Combine into batter.
5. Fold in the chips/nuts/etc.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes, checking frequently after 30 minutes of bake time.
The results? A fluffy, moist bread that tastes wonderful. And the fact that it's pretty good for you makes it tastes even better.
Go wait for your bananas to start turning dark. Enjoy :) Pin It