1.05.2011

Huskystar

I know what you're thinking.  "Huskystar?!  What in the world??" 

That's the name of my super domestic/super awesome Christmas gift from my parents.  I am the very proud owner of a Husqvarna Viking Huskystar E20.  (That's a sewing machine.  In case you are still lost).  Mind you, I'm not one of those people who can sew really well.  In fact, I'm not even one of those people who can sew decently.  My mother, on the other hand, is an amazing seamstress.  She has a degree in fashion - hello, cool! - and used to make a lot of our clothes growing up.  One of my earliest memories is the sound of her sewing machine.  She took out a LOAN post-college to buy her first (and current) sewing machine; it cost something around $1200.  I think she got a slightly better deal on mine! :)  Anyway, I played around on my mom's machine while growing up, but never really bothered to learn the techniques of sewing.  Basically, I would have a project I wanted to make, would present it to my mom and she'd get me started.  Then something would happen - I would get frustrated, then I'd get frustrated that I couldn't fix whatever I messed up, and she would end up finishing the projects for me.  [side note - This sounds like I was 12.  And yes, it did happen when I was a kid.  But - This was also still occurring up until a few months ago.  Hence a sewing machine also being called the Gift of Frustration!].  

Lately, I've been seeing SO MANY adorable projects that I want to create.  They all have one thing in common - requiring a sewing machine.  I think/hope that I'm to the point in life where I can focus my frustration into something more productive (patience, maybe?).

Enter: The Huskystar


Eeee!  Isn't she beautiful?  When my mom was picking it out, the saleswoman told her that it's an excellent machine for the beginner sewist.  It's very straightforward to use, but still is a great piece of machinery that can do everything I want (and maybe more than I'll ever know!).  


Lots of super sweet stitches.  I need to play with them, because I have no idea what tension/stitch length/etc. to do with which stitch.  Or what they are useful for, other than looking awesome!


After a good lesson with Mama, I know how to thread this.  And the bobbin.  I can sew in a straight line with a regular stitch.  It is strange though - I never sewed a ton with my mom's machine, but the minor differences between our machines drive me a little bonkers.  Like the lift lever for the foot is on the opposite side.  Not a big deal, and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but ever single time I go to lift the foot, I go left instead of right. 
 
The thought of sewing a button hole still terrifies me.  And sewing in anything other than a straight line?  The horror!  However.  I have faith.  Because I also got this fabulous book.




It's called "Stitch by Stitch," and it goes waaaaay in depth for the newbie sewers out there.  I think it is going to be a huge help.  Not that I still won't be calling my mom with every project...


When did I make the switch from toys and electronics being the best gift to domestic things (including the sewing machine, but also pan protectors, a tea diffuser, a brush to clean our Sigg water bottles....AND the hubby got a waffle maker)??  Officially. An. Old. Married. Couple. 

:)

1 comment:

  1. It is so funny how we switch to domestic mode at some point! If you had told me 10 years ago I'd love to browse through furniture and kitchenware stores, I'd have thought you were crazy!

    Can't wait to hear about your sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]