2.15.2011

Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Recipe

Oatmeal is sooooooo good for us, right?  Right.  Too bad I absolutely, 100% hate the texture of oatmeal.  Oatmeal cookies - those I can handle.  Warm, mushy, gushy oatmeal?  Not at all. 

But I have a friend Anne, who is in my bible study, and she brought the most delicious oatmeal one morning.  I wasn't going to try it, because I normally loathe oatmeal *that* much, but it was dairy free, so I had to.   

Best. Decision. Ever. 

I got the recipe from her, and want to share it with you!  The hubby and I just call it "Anne's Oatmeal," so I had to give it a name...

Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
Ingredients
½ cup cinnamon applesauce (this is the same size as a single-serving cup. Convenient!)
1/3 cup sweetener (honey, sugar or agave)
2 eggs (or 4 eggs if you want it to be more custard-like...aka mushy!)
1 cup milk (almond milk is perfect)
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking powder
3 cups instant oats (or regular oats - either work!)
½ cup dried cranberries (or dry fruit of choice)
½ tsp. of cinnamon (or more according to taste)
1-2 Tbsp. brown sugar
Chopped walnuts (optional)
You probably have most of this in your pantry right now!

Directions
1. Mix applesauce and sweetner until blended. Add in eggs, milk, salt and baking powder; combine. Stir in oats and cranberries. [optional: stir in some extra cinnamon if desired]. Pour into a greased pie pan and sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Goodnight, cinnamon baked oatmeal!  See you in the morning! 

2. Next morning: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle chopped nuts over top and bake for 25-35 minutes until set. Serve with brown sugar, honey and cinnamon as desired.

Post-baking.  It doesn't last long - thought it is enough to feed 4 people breakfast).
So there you have it!  It is delicious and nutritious and tastes just as good for dessert as it does for breakfast...much less mushy oatmeal - much more oatmeal cookie!

Oh, and just because I really do this:

What is that a picture of, you ask?  That's how I crush my walnuts to use in breads, pancakes, and now Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal!  Nuts in Ziplock, underneath washcloth, and smash with plastic cup!  Such a grown-up, I know. 
See this recipe featured on It's a Keeper! 
Share the crafty (and yummy!) goodness!  Pin It

9 comments:

  1. That looks delish! I even like oatmeal. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It seems the perfect thing to make on a winter's day.

    Tracy http://allthumbscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good. Wow...I have to try this one. Thanks so much for stopping by and joining my party. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I host a weekly blog hop -- It's a Keeper Thursdays. I'd love for you to stop by and link up!

    Thanks!
    Christina @ It's a Keeper
    http://www.everydaytastes.com/
    http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
    http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

    ReplyDelete
  4. UM WOW. I want so badly to eat that. I'm taking notes and going to try to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great recipe!!!!! My whole family really enjoyed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm featuring your recipe on It's a Keeper Thursday this week! I’d love if you stopped by and grabbed a button.

    And, feel free to link up another great recipe this week too!

    Cheers!
    Christina @ It's a Keeper
    http://www.everydaytastes.com/
    http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
    http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a printable version somewhere? When I try to copy it to print the recipe the I get pictures and no directions or just the ingredients....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey SoCalKal - this might seem silly to ask, but could it be because the font is white? If you highlight it and try to change it to black and it still doesn't work, email me at mdschoolmrs(at)gmail(dot)com, and I would be more than happy to send you the recipe! :) MJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Looks awesome...I just popped some in the fridge and am preparing for my family to worship me in the morning!! :-). I am new to your blog and am following you, too.

    ~Mary @ Homegrown Learners

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]