2.17.2011

Damask Mouse Pad [aka the easiest project ever]

Did I ever tell you the story about how the hubby and I got each other one of the same gifts for Christmas?  Same gift, from the same store, while it was on the same sale?  I don't think I did.  But....we did.   A wireless mouse.  From Target.  On sale, for $12.99.  We are practical nerds awesome like that.  

Also, if you remember, I refinished my dinosaur desk and put a piece of tempered glass on the top.  Glass + optical mouse without a mouse pad = a mouse that won't squeak..er..work.  So finally, almost two months later, I set out to make a mouse pad so I could actually use my mouse.  Photoshop is a pain in the butt using a laptop's touchpad, y'all.  I toyed with the idea of making and ordering a photo mouse pad from somewhere online, but decided that there had to be a better (read: cheaper) way.  

Enter: Peltex 72F Double-Sided Fusible Ultra Firm Stabilizer.  Double-sided-what-a-what?  Basically, it's thick stuff that you sandwich between two layers of fabric, iron it, and viola!  Your fabric sticks together and is ultrafirm.  

This was probably the easiest project ever.  I got a quarter yard of the stabilizer (the stabilizer is only 20" long from the bolt, so the piece I had was roughly 9"x20"...enough for two mouse pads).  The instructions come wrapped around the bolt, so if you're thinking of attempting this, make sure you get the full directions!


I also got a 1/4 yard of pretty damask fabric.   



All I did was cut out a 9.25" square of the stabilizer, and two 9.5" squares of the damask fabric.  (The larger patterned fabric meant that I wouldn't have to line it all up exactly right). Following the directions from the stabilizer, I fused/ironed it all together.  After that, I used a 9" square of cardboard as a template to cut out the finished product.

Can you tell that my ironing board has to be set up in my kitchen?  There's not enough room to open it in our laundry room/pantry/bat cave.
Seriously, this was about a 20 minute project, including the time for the iron to heat up. 


The finished product!  The only thing to consider doing differently would be using pinking shears to cut out the final product...I'm hoping that it will be so fused together that the fabric won't fray, but more than likely I'll be taking this over to my parents' house to do a quick trim with my mom's shears!  


Another cute idea?  Using a different fabric for the top and bottom...a reversible mouse pad!  Or maybe a circle mouse pad??  Oohhh the possibilities :)

Share the crafty goodness!

Pin It

19 comments:

  1. That is so cute - I love little indications like that a couple is perfect together.

    And that mouse pad turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously that is so adorable! I never knew it could be that easy to do this! I might just have to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea and looks very easy to do! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh... I need this for my office! LOVE damask!! Thanks for linking my party... I'm featuring you for my FLaunt it Friday features, come by and grab a button if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Definitely on my "to do" list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this idea!!! I think everyone needs a cute mouse pad!! I'm a sucker for anything damask so I'll have to copy your idea to the T!!

    Thanks for passing this along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is cute. I think I may just make one. Like now, cause I desperately need a mouse pad lol.I'm your newest follower. I'm having my first link party tomorrow (Monday). It would be great if you could stop by and post your project. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for joining the More The Merrier Monday Linky Party. Be sure to come back next week. I look forward to seeing more of your projects.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! I was JUST looking of etsy for a damask mouse pad! I could for sure make this. Thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WAY cute!! I am looking at my boring black mouse pad right now, plotting its demise! Found you via Shabby Nest, thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is GREAT! Fabulous project!
    You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday through Sunday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute, I love damask! I'm featuring this today. P.s. My husband is in medical school to. LOTS of studying=lots of crafting for us. lol. What school are you guys at?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea. I actually need a new mouse pad and cant wait to make my own. Stopping by to share the love of a fellow I Heart Naptime featured link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I grabbed a fun remnant today to do my own mouse cover! Thank you for the inspiration!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where did u get that fabric I be looking for it all over the web.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where u get the fabric I have been looking for it

    ReplyDelete
  17. The fabric is either from Joann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby....It was so long ago now that I can't remember which! But those are my two go-to stores for fabric, so I can guarantee it was from one of those two places :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's pretty cool to do. They would look good on my computer table.

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]