3.17.2011

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe

We are avid hummus addicts here in the Dr+Mrs household.  I don't think our refrigerator has ever not had hummus in it.   In fact, we were hummus lovers long before hummus went mainstream (maybe it's just me, but it seems like everyone and their brother suddenly adores hummus in the last year or so.  Don't take that as a sour attitude - I'm thrilled.  Hummus is pretty much the only healthy dip out there, save for salsa.  Just give up the ranch dip people.  Give it up!).  The Hubby's got quite a bit of Lebanese in his heritage, so he grew up eating it.  And I've been a hummus lover ever since I met the Hubby! 

I currently hold the world's BEST hummus recipe.  It's the Hubby's grandma's secret blend, and it is a very traditional, delicious hummus.  But I'm not going to give it to you!  Ha!  How's that for cruel??  Instead, I'm going to give you a tweaked/modified/combined version of Grandma's hummus into a roasted red pepper hummus, since I'm pretty sure that is the most popular and well-liked flavor!  

Hummus is so easy to make.  Just gather your ingredients:


Blend them together:


And serve!


Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Ingredients
1 can garbanzo beans (drain, but reserve the liquid into a separate bowl)
~1/3 to 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (I should learn to measure - sorry. I found mine at Aldi)
2 Tbsp. tahini (sesame paste - find it in the international foods aisle. It's pricey but don't leave it out!)
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced (more if you're a garlic lover!)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper 
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
Extra virgin olive oil 

Directions 
Place ingredients into blender or food processor.  Add in about 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid and ~1 Tbsp. olive oil (seriously - just eyeball it and pour some in!).  Begin to pulse the mixture, scraping down the sides.  Add in more reserved liquid gradually until mixture becomes creamy and smooth.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

I made this version of hummus last night for our small group when they came over  (who, by the way, are seriously fabulous).  It was divine served with veggies and pita chips (seriously - Aldi has the best pita chips.  And on the cheap!).

(Just please don't tell Grandma that I tweaked her recipe!!)
Share the crafty (and yummy!) goodness! 
See this featured on It's a Keeper! Pin It

12 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I found you through Making it with Allie :) Feel free to stop my blog for a tasty dessert recipe and become a follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hummus and that looks particularly good. Thanks so much for linking up to my Swing into Spring party. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic recipe! I LOVE Hummus!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE hummus at our house (even the kids) and this is my favorite variation of it but I have never made this kind myself. I'm definitely going to be trying my hand at it now! Yum! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This looks amazing! Thanks for linking up to the It's a Keeper Thursday blog hop! Be sure to come back next week and link something new!

    Christina @ It's a Keeper
    http://www.everydaytastes.com/
    http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
    http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made your hummus and blogged about it. Feel free to check it out. Thanks for the recipe. :)

    http://theroyalcook.blogspot.com/2011/03/red-pepper-hummus.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm featuring your recipe/project on It's a Keeper Thursday this week! I’d love if you stopped by and grabbed a button.

    And, feel free to link up another great recipe this week too!

    Cheers!
    Christina @ It's a Keeper
    http://www.everydaytastes.com/
    http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
    http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

    ReplyDelete
  8. My three year-old loves hummus and so do I. Wondering where or what brand of tahini is most affordable. I've always had a coupon to buy hummus and I buy it convenience style thinking I'm coming out better. Though tahini is a bit pricey, I've been wondering if it's cheaper if you make your own garbonzos. (I freezer cook beans and other things at momonamission.me). What are your thoughts? What's the shelf life?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackie, I'd say the shelf life would definitely be at least 5-7 days (not that ours has ever stuck around that long before being eaten!). The lemon juice acts as a natural preservative.

    As for preparing your own beans...I have no idea how that would play into the price break down, as I've never done it, but I'm sure it would help! Normally, I'll pay less than $1 for canned chickpeas. Also, I tend to use Ziyad tahini, and it is about $7 for the 16oz jar. It's the only kind of tahini that our local grocery store carries, so unless I get to a big city with actual ethnic grocery stores, that's what I use. If you have a hard time finding it, or want to compare prices, I'd jump on Amazon. Hope this helps :)

    Thanks for all the comment love, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really good. I eat hummus all the time and haven't had this type. Can't wait to try it!

    I would love for you to link up at my first Eats and treats party going on now.

    http://bargainhoot.com/2011/03/24/join-my-first-link-up-party-share-your-eats-treats/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. Thank you. I'll be making this tomorrow. Hummus RoX. :o

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]