5.24.2011

Holy (dairy-free) Crepe!

Today seems like a great day for a Tasty Tuesday post.  Remember the Hubby's birthday breakfast?  I tried my hand at making crepes for the very first time.  And you know what?  They were so simple!   The recipe that follows is modified from The Food Network, so if you'd like the dairy-filled version, please see their website!


Dairy-Free Crepes
Ingredients  
2 large eggs
3/4 cup vanilla milk (almond, soy, etc)
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 Tbsp. melted margarine
2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla 
Toppings of choice (fruit, syrup, Nutella, chocolate sauce, honey, peanut butter, whipped  cream...the list goes on

Directions
The night before, or at least one hour in advance, combine everything in a blender (except for the toppings!) and pulse until combined.  Refrigerate overnight or for at least one hour.  This helps prevent the crepes from tearing while cooking.  

Heat a small frying pan.  The original recipe suggests using melted butter in the frying pan to prevent sticking.  I was using olive oil spray, and found that my crepes got too browned and crispy before they could get cooked thoroughly.  I do have a non-stick frying pan, so I tried just pouring the batter into the pan without using anything, and they stayed nice and light and flexible, so I might recommend trying that.  But if your pan turns into a big mess, don't blame me!.   

Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour 1/4 cup of batter into the hot pan.  Lift the pan from burner and swirl the batter around to spread it out evenly.  Cook for about 45 seconds, until just beginning to brown, then flip and cook the other side.  Let cool on a wire rack.  Repeat with remaining batter. 

Makes about a dozen crepes, depending on size.
**We had a ton left over with just the two of us eating them, so I stacked them up with wax paper in between, and froze them.  Hopefully they reheat well!

Since the Hubby doesn't have to worry about being dairy-free, he topped his with bananas, strawberries, and Nutella....he suggests that whipped cream would probably be great in there too.  For mine, I had the fruit with honey.  Seriously, these were delicious. 


And I want to show you the difference it made, switching from using cooking spray, to not using cooking spray. Left is with it, right is without:

See?  Too crispy to just right...a world of difference.  :)  

Let me know if you try making these; they were such a breeze to put together, and oh-so delicious!

Share the yummy goodness!
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Strawberry season is just around the corner here, and these lovelies need to make an appearance! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally new to your blog, but glad I found it because these crepes looks absolutely amazing! And since it is so simple (or mostly because I love all things sweet!), I feel like I have no choice but to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! We had similar blogs this week! Happy BIrthday to our Husbands!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay. now my mouth is watering. i have had no sugar for a month and seriously this might have to be a reason to break it! lovely post! make sure to check out what i'm wearing for wardrobe wednesday! xoxo

    kelseyannesmith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmmm I love crepes. Would love for you to link up to my Sweet Treats Party today! Hope to see you there :)
    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I host a blog hop and I'd LOVE if you came over and shared a recipe! Here's the link :) http://thesweetdetail.blogspot.com/search/label/Savory%20Sunday

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]