5.29.2011

One Year of Bliss: How Time Flies

 All photo credit to Amy Carroll Photography (I know, she's a rockstar, isn't she?)

I can scarcely believe that it has been a year ago today since our wedding day.  Time truly does fly when you're having fun...even with medical school in the mix! We've had quite the journey so far, and I can't wait to see what the next year has in store for us.  

The Hubby and I always joke that we don't really remember our wedding day - and for the most part, it's true!  There are very few details that either of us remember; the entire day is more or less a beautiful, yet fuzzy, euphoric haze.  For fun, we each made a list of things that we remember most vividly about our wedding day. 

Hubby's Wedding Day Memories:
  • Going out to breakfast with all of my guys, and not being able to eat much (if you knew me, you would know why this is a big deal!).
  • Playing poker in the church basement, waiting for the show to get on the road.
  • Forgetting to go get the Moms to come down the aisle, while standing in the front of the church thinking, "Shouldn't something be happening right now?" until our pastor finally elbowed me.
  • Watching MJ coming down the aisle, and alternating between thinking "Wow, she looks beautiful!" and "HO-LY CRAP!"
  • During the middle of the ceremony, when we were lighting our unity candle, MJ whispering to me, "Hubby!  Scoot over some so Amy can get a good picture!"  I kid you not.
  • MJ's veil getting snagged on the cement as we were doing our bubble exit - twice!  That's what nine feet of tulle will do for you.
  • Taking pictures in a random field for over an hour when it was 94 degrees in a full tux. Sweaty. Torture.
  • All of the bugs that crawled in between all of the layers of lace on MJ's gown when we were in that field. 
  • Squashing one of said bugs in the dress and watching it squirt out blood and guts.  I decided not to do that anymore.  And not to tell MJ that it had happened.
  • My groomsmen eating all of the extra dinners each at the reception.  They were pretty happy that a few people weren't able to make it!
MJ's Wedding Day Memories:
  • All of my bridesmaids completely rocking out to the Grease Soundtrack Compilation on the way to the church.
  • Seeing one of the groomsmen before the ceremony and having him say, "MJ!  You look perfect!" 
  • Being beyond anxious before the ceremony, and singing "Father Abraham" loudly with all of my girls to encourage laughter rather than hysterical tears.
  • Not having to do anything myself on the wedding day, thanks to my ridiculous amount of planning and our amazing master and mistress of ceremonies (seriously, if you're getting married, please please have someone take on this role for you, someone with good taste and an authoritative voice!  It was our best wedding planning decision!  Everything looked gorgeous and went off without a hitch).
  • Walking down the aisle, with my father near tears, and my groom even nearer to tears and thinking, "Seriously?  I can't cry too!"  (Please recall that I regularly tear up at random commercials.  Needless to say, it was the most willpower I have ever summoned!).
  • Our pastor saying at the beginning of his sermon, "You two aren't going to remember what I'm going to say."  He was totally right.
  • My bracelet falling off when we were dismissing the rows of guests from the ceremony.  I never put it back on.
  • My veil getting caught on the steps leaving the church.  It was a classic, out-of-the-movies, jerked my head back completely moment. 
  • It was record breaking temperatures that day.  It was ridiculously hot; 94 degrees or something like that.  I was wearing a multi-layer heavy lace gown - I still can't believe that I didn't faint!
  • The seven million bugs that crawled in between the layers of my dress in the field while taking pictures.  And the accompanying mosquito bites that came along with them.  One of my new brother-in-laws had to stop at a drug store to get hydrocortisone cream for me!  I was covered in welts when we got to the reception.
  • Not eating any dinner, even though it smelled delicious.  I just couldn't swallow much of it!
  • Talking to everybody at the reception and getting reprimanded for not dancing more.
In order to gain some more memories, we're going to watch our wedding video today.  We haven't ever watched it yet; we decided to save it for our anniversary.  I'm getting anxious just thinking about it!  We're also planning on having dinner tonight at the restaurant where we had our rehearsal dinner (and our first date!).  And we aren't doing gifts - I mean, we'd better not be!  The best gift the Hubby can give me is a day free of studying, which I believe is going to happen.  I did put together a little "Reasons I Love You" in lieu of a card.  I did 52 reasons...for 52 weeks of marriage.  Some were serious and heartfelt, some were much more lighthearted and funny.

The front - I don't know why my birdies turned so grainy, sorry!   I just modified a clip art in Photoshop - they looked much better there and when printed.

 I'll leave you with this, the Scripture we chose to be read at our ceremony:

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues, put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body, you were called to peace.  And be thankful.  Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns and songs of the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.  And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  -Colossians 3:12-17

Here's to the next year, filled with love!  Happy first anniversary, Hubby! 

PS-in case you're wondering, no way was I up at 6:00am on our anniversary writing a post.  That's what scheduled posting is for ;) 

6 comments:

  1. Dearest Daughter - I know where you got your "cry at commercials & any other moment", espically at this post! Thanks for sharing your memories and espically thanks for marrying a wonderful man. We couldn't ask for a better son-in-law. Love you both and hope you have a wonderful anniversary. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and you! Have a terrific Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these last two posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, how sweet. And what a great idea to write down both of your wedding day memories - ours are totally in snippets like that too - it's a whirlwind! Happy anniversary...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy (slightly belated) anniversary! What beautiful photos and lovely memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely post and love the purple shoes and love the photos. love everything about it! happy one year! xoxo

    kelseyannesmith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]