6.23.2011

The Cookie Conundrum

So let's pretend that cookies are a rarity in your house.  Actually, sweets in general are rare.  The sweetest snack that you keep in your house that even creeps close to being considered junk food is granola.  Because you have no self-control whatsoever when it comes to food, and will eat anything and everything if it is available.  So you don't ever buy unhealthy things, because you don't like to put them into your body, and you don't like how you feel after eating them.  Only healthy, nutritious foods make it into your grocery cart, therefore only healthy, nutritious things make it into your refrigerator and cupboards.  Occasionally, you'll make something that might appear to be unhealthy, like banana ice cream, but in reality, it's still pretty good for you. 

Continuing this exercise in imagination, let us pretend that one time while grocery shopping, you stopped at the refrigerated tortilla section, which is conveniently located next to the refrigerated cookie dough section.  You see some white packaging that catches your eye: 

Photo Source

My goodness - no trans fats, no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives?   Getting hopeful, you turn the package over, and lo and behold! - no dairy.  Immediately, you clean out the entire case calmly place three packages into your cart to take home, freeze, and make for future company.  Which you do.  (At least the 'taking home' and 'freezing' parts).

Let's fast forward to this evening and say that you and your Hubby decide that this rainy, dreary day would be much better with some warm, gooey, homemade chocolate chip cookies [despite the fact that we are pretending, I won't try to fool you into thinking that I ever (ever!) make cookies that require actual ingredients and a bowl and mixing, rather than merely breaking-and-baking...If you want real cookies, you need to talk to my sister].

Photo Source
(Because we all know break-and-bake cookies don't look this good, even if they do taste delicious).

So you break them, and you unsuccessfully try to prohibit your future doctor husband from eating them raw (which doesn't work, though he of ALL PEOPLE should understand the danger of eating raw eggs), and you bake them.  The package makes a dozen cookies, which, if we're being honest, isn't that many cookies.  And despite the good intentions you had had in the tortilla/cookie section of Meijer of these cookies being for company, there is no one around but you and your Hubby.  

This leads us to The Cookie Conundrum.  Twelve cookies.  Two people.  You know that cookies are best fresh out of the oven, gooey and warm.  You also know that they just aren't as good on day two.  So what do you do?  Do you each eat two cookies, and put the rest away  to eat on the subsequent days when they aren't as delicious and won't bring nearly as much joy to your taste buds?  Or do you each eat six cookies and go into a cookie coma, nearly sick but happy that you were able to enjoy them while they were at their peak of tastiness?  I mean, if you're each going to eat six cookies out of the twelve regardless of when/how you eat them, does it really matter if you eat them all the first day or spread it out over two or three days?  It's still the same amount of cookies, right?  

The Cookie Conundrum.  I'm currently involved in it.  I've had 2.5 3 chocolate chip cookies this evening.  

The rest are still on the counter.

They're calling to me.  

I bet they're still warm.

Yes, I realize that the fact that I'm considering eating half a dozen cookies in one evening is mildly disgusting, and just because they don't have any HFCS in them doesn't make them good for me.  Yes, these Simply Pillsbury cookies are beyond delicious.  No, Pillsbury did not sponsor this post, nor did anyone pay me to write it (though I would take payment in the form of cookies).

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love chocolate chip cookies and always give in to extra while they're fresh...

    When my hubby was early in medical school and learning about nutrition-related things, I asked him about a "hypothetical" scenario where I had a package of Hershey's Kisses and wondered whether, if a person was going to eat all of them anyway, it mattered whether it happened all at once over the course of several days. Jury's still out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for cookies...especially cookies right out of the oven. I can tell you that I KNOW I don't have enough will power to just stop at three. :) Good luck with your cookie conundrum! And thanks for stopping by my blog and checking out my clothespin art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I'm totally craving oven-fresh chocolate chip cookies. You did really well to stop at three :) But then again, I have NO willpower when it comes to anything sweet and chocolately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! Very clever and cute.

    http://i---create.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]