6.14.2011

Machine -free & Dairy-free Ice Cream

 
The top ten reasons you are going to love this ice cream recipe:
  1. An ice cream maker is not necessary to make it.
  2. Your children (and husband!) will think it's delicious.
  3. It is healthy enough to be eaten for breakfast - no joke!
  4. It contains only three ingredients, and they are all-natural.
  5. You can expand it to however many servings you'd like.
  6. There is no dairy (okay, maybe only some of you care about this, but it's most important to me!).
  7. It will take you all of about four minutes of hands-on time.
  8. Nobody would ever guess that there are bananas in it - the flavor is completely masked.
  9. It costs less than a quarter per serving.
  10. There is no guilt when eating it!
I'm not even kidding when I say that this stuff is potentially life-changing.  Especially for those of us who can't tolerate milk - Non-dairy ice cream is ridiculously expensive and is chalked full of tons of ingredients I can't pronounce (read: not real foods).  Plus, it never tastes quite....right.  You know that gritty feeling that you can't pretend you don't notice when you're eating ice cream made of rice?  You won't find any of that in this recipe.  A friend had mentioned to me that it was possible to make ice cream from bananas.  Even though I was skeptical, I decided to try it, but added in the peanut butter and cocoa when making it.  Result? Pure bliss!

Gather your three ingredients:

Frozen Bananas.  Please, do not freeze them whole, as seen on the left.  They are a pain in the tuckus to peel, and my hands got so cold that I recruited the Hubby with a sharp knife to finish the job.  We learned our lesson: now we peel and chunk the bananas prior to freezing.
Peanut Butter and Dark Cocoa Powder.  Feel free to use regular cocoa powder, if that's what you taste buds prefer. 

And that's it!  Please use the following recipe as guidelines.  If you like more of the flavor of peanut butter, add some extra in there!  This is just what we've found we like.  The below portions are based on one serving (one banana); increase it to match your desired number of servings.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
Ingredients (per serving)
1 frozen banana
3/4 tsp. cocoa powder
1 /2 to 1 Tbsp. peanut butter

Directions
Peel bananas and chop into several chunks.  Freeze overnight or until solid in freezer-safe container.
When bananas are solid, dump half into blender.  Add in the desired amounts of cocoa and peanut butter, and top with the other half of the frozen bananas.  Secure lid and pulse mixture, stopping to scrape down sides occasionally.  When it starts to become creamy, begin to do longer spurts of blending until the consistency of soft-serve ice cream is reached.  


During the initial blending when the ice cream is being pulsed, it will be chunky, like this:


Don't worry though - just keep pulsing and scraping down, and it will turn creamy and smooth!



It's so simple and so wonderful.  The ice cream is delicious in its "soft-serve" form, but the Hubby and I often make a larger batch and freeze it.  Then you can portion it out with an ice cream scoop.  (Bear in mind that if you do freeze your ice cream after making it, it have the slightly more "crystal" taste of regular ice cream, rather than the pure smoothness of soft-serve ice cream).

Aren't you ready to go freeze some bananas?  I thought so ;)  Let me know if you try it or if you have any other flavor combos you're planning on trying!

I'll be sharing this yummy goodness over at these fun blogs this week.   Thanks for stopping by!

---
See this recipe featured at Polka Dots on Parade!  Thanks Jaime!
Whoa my gosh - and see it on Money Saving Mom's facebook page! 
Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Love it!! I'd love for you to come link up at my party, Wow Me Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great idea! I don't have an ice cream maker and am always on the look-out for ways to make it without one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! Now that we are in 100 degree temps this might be just what the doctor ordered! T'm going to try it tonight. I choose jif though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a peanut allergy in our house.... have you tried it with any other nut butters?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome I am going to have to try this my son is allergic to dairy and am always looking for new ideas. Thenks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for posting this! I am a vegan and have made this many times with only the bananas (I keep bananas frozen all the time just for that reason) but I never thought to add the peanut butter and chocolate! I will have to do this tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I will definately be trying this tonight! Thanks for sharing. :) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i use 3 frozen bananas and half a bag of mixed frozen fruit, I do add a little coconut milk and thats it....Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you SO much. Can not wait to try this. 4 out of the 5 people in our family have to be gfcf and this will keep us from going bankrupt this summer!! Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much everyone for your comment love! I adore reading all of it ;) It is such a simple recipe to make and oh-so-delicious!

    To the question regarding using alternatives to peanut butter, I'm sure that using almond butter or even soy nut butter would give a similar result. Or even just omit it and substitute fresh berries like the above suggestion...yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome! i also have banana "soft serve" ice cream on my blog - - but why did i never think to add PB or cocoa?? ;)
    looks delicious. can't wait to try it out! thanks!
    Carla at Mrs. No-No Knows
    www.twitter.com/mrsnonoknows
    www.facebook.com/mrsnonoknows

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darnit! I'm allergic to milk and eggs as well as peanuts, so when I first started reading I thought it was perfect, but then I saw the peanut butter. :-( It's a great idea tho!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great! My son is allergic to dairy but loves ice cream... now he can have it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious! I'll definitely have to give it a try! Found you at the Thrilling Thursday's blog hop and am glad I did! Am a happy new follower :).

    http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, Yum. When you said 'healthy ice crea' I doubted you but that IS healthy! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very good! a different, healthy summer treat. My blender couldn't handle the frozen bananas, but my food processor worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cynthia (Simply Chic Treasures)June 17, 2011 at 8:38 AM

    Sounds so yummy.
    Bananas, peanut butter and chocolate...MMMM

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks AMAZING!!! I will definitely try it this weekend. I hope you'll share the recipe on my weekend linky party so my readers can see it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is how I make milkshakes for my husband at night. He loves them! Although I do add chocolate syrup to th eto.

    While I was reading I was wandering if I could use the bananas for suagar and mango together?

    ReplyDelete
  22. K I LOVE that you don't have to have a machine, I can't wait to try this.... makes my mouth water right now! Ha ha, found ya from At the Picket Fence. Happy Friday!
    Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love for you to link this and more up to my linky party that runs Friday evening through Sunday night. You can find the button for the party at http://www.bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

    Our last party, the first ever, had over 300 links so this week there will be a special give away just for linkers, hope to see you soon.

    Come strut your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have made a ice cream with bananas before but never added peanut butter or cocoa, I will try it when bananas are cheap again- the price of bananas are sky high in Australia at the moment due to floods and cyclones in Qld. $10-$15 a kg instead of the usual $2-3.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have several frozen bananas in the freezer right now. I'm so going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am going to try this tonight after my girls are in bed. I only had 1 banana to freeze the other day and it's been waiting in there for me since! Not enough to share ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I featured you today on my blog!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. It was very interesting to read about this in your article. blood pressure Read a useful article about tramadol tramadol

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]