6.12.2011

Proud Plant Parents

Yes, that's right folks.  We've taken the plunge into parenthood.  Plant parenthood, that is (that sounds a lot like Planned Parenthood.  Am I digressing already?  Crap).  This past week, at around 10:30 at night in a dark corner of our parking lot, my friend Emily and I potted the first container plants of the Dr. + Mrs. household.  Why 10:30 at night?  Well, mainly because we were started plant shopping at around 9:00.  That will pretty much do it!  

The Hubby and I are pretty proud of our plant babies.  I'm going to share photos with you now, while they are all fresh and new (and, you know, alive).  I've never grown a plant outdoors before, and I'm mildly terrified that I might have a black as night not-so-green thumb.

Anywho: Here is our over-the-railing planter, featuring herbs and flowers:

My three favorite and most-used herbs: Oregano, basil and cilantro.
These are Laguna Sky Blue.  Yes, they are supposed to drape over the sides of the container, they aren't dying of thirst already!   Also: that is my finger in the corner of the picture.  Apologies.

Next, our very pretty planter:

I adore this planter!  $10 at TJ Maxx....gotta love it!  In here are more Laguna Sky Blue, along with those little pink flowers (whose name I do not know) and that tall one that is currently sans-flowers is an Angelonia.  It will soon have white flowers. 

Last but certainly not least...our cherry tomato plant! 


He's a little dude right now, but I have high hopes for tons of cherry tomatoes sometime soon!

And finally, just because it is super cute, my new watering can in such a fun summer color:


I'll be honest, I think that the Hubby is shaping up to be a better plant parent than me.  The night after we planted them, we got a storm with really strong winds.  Being on the top floor of our building means that our deck turns into a wind tunnel!  So the dear Hubby went out and brought all of our little planties inside to be safe, not drowned and upright with their little roots in the soil.  While I laid in bed.  Ha!

Have you planted anything yet this spring?  Any tips that I should know about, being a newbie gardener and all (other than remembering to water them...I'm thinking I might need to put a reminder in my calendar!)?

7 comments:

  1. FUn! Everyone else can garden this time of year, but us in AZ can't! That is long gone! Check out a super cute summer give-a-way on my blog!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... look at all those little beauties! Congratulations on your plant parenthood! ;)
    We just added a hanging basket to our plant family, and it definitely brightens my day to see my green growing things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... look at all those little beauties! Congratulations on your plant parenthood! ;)
    We just added a hanging basket to our plant family, and it definitely brightens my day to see my green growing things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Sorry about the double post! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, fun. And your basil is looking gorgeous.

    From experience with killing plants... yes, indeed, you should remember to water them. It's key. Apparently (all my plant knowledge comes from my hubby) you have to keep a closer eye on things when they're in planters/pots (rather than in the ground), since they can dry out much faster if they're getting hot sun.

    p.s. wouldn't that be funny if we were cottage neighbors?! Yay for summer in MI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice. A few months ago we bought one of those hanging gardens, and filled it with tomatoes, peppers, jalapeños, and cilantro - I was so excited for some salsa! It didn't even last 3 days. We put it too close to a wall and the wind blew too hard and all of our plants died. Smart of your husband to bring them inside! We weren't as quick... :-)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the advice! They are still alive...one week later - haha! Here's to a long summer, with the perfect proportions of sunshine and rain!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]