6.28.2011

Tasty Tuesday: The Perfect Breakfast Sandwich


 [Which is affectionately known around these parts as the "McMJ"]

This is not some new fancy recipe that I've recently started making - I've made at least one or two (or three!) of these yummy ham and egg sandwiches each week this school year, each and every time the Hubby has an early morning exam (thank goodness for husbands who don't mind eating the same foods repeatedly....can I get an amen??).  I thought it would be exceedingly appropriate to share this breakfast sandwich with you during the final finals week of our first year of med school! So even though it doesn't quite fit my recipe challenge of last week, I'm claiming it's good enough!

These sandwiches are not difficult to make, by any means.  However, streamlining the process so that I can make them efficiently while I'm still 3/4 asleep when I'm a bit tired has proven to be quite useful.  So here's my process for efficient early morning breakfasts on-the-go:

Two things need to be done prior to the early morning.  First, make a batch of Whole Wheat English Muffins (I supposed you could buy them, but once you have a homemade English Muffin, you'll never look back).  Split them, wrap each in plastic wrap, and freeze in a gallon size zip-top bag. 


The second thing to do in preparation to make breakfast sandwiches quickly is to freeze slices of ham.  What I do is buy a small ham and have the meat counter slice it into medium/thin slices.  With the Hubby having an average of two exams each week, I wrap two slices together.  It works out perfectly to just throw the second slice into a tupperware until it's needed later that week.  If you prefer, you could always wrap them as single slices.  Here's how I wrap two slices together without them freezing together/so I don't have to chisel them apart:


1: Lay one slice of ham onto a piece of plastic wrap, about an inch or two from the (short) end and press the short end up onto the ham.
2: Roll the ham once, so that it is completely surrounded by plastic wrap.
3: Stack a second slice of ham directly onto the top of the first slice (so there should be plastic between them).
4: Roll both ham slices up together until you reach the edge of the wrap.
5: Flip the ham over and press the loose ends closed.  
6: Repeat (a lot) until you have all of your ham slices wrapped up in little portions.  Freeze in a gallon size baggie. 

So in the morning, all you have to do is: grab a muffin from the freezer, resplit it once it's thawed slightly and toast it; defrost your ham (remove from plastic wrap first!) and give it a quick browning in a skillet; and hard fry an egg.  Stack it up, wrap it in foil and presto!  A McMJ/breakfast sandwich to be eaten on-the-go. 


Mmm...I officially have a craving...Think I could use one of these this morning!  Delicious and nutritious.  Enjoy your Tuesday!

[PS: I only have one more McMJ breakfast sandwich to make this semester, on Thursday morning!  That's the day of the last final of MS1, and then it is home free for the Hubby!!]

Sharing at some of these fun places this week.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Yum! My family used to make something very similar, and with your prep steps they might need to make a come back! :)

    And hurrah for the final final of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look tasty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! My hubs seems to always sleep in to the point that he has to skip breakfast... I'll have to give this a try for sure! ;) Thanks for sharing...and love your blog!

    www.lovelacefiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]