8.02.2011

Pumpkin Pie (dairy-free!)

Remember a couple of months ago when I made a dairy-free pumpkin pie for the Hubby's birthday?  I'm finally (FINALLY) getting around to sharing this recipe with you.  It is so delicious that you can't even tell that it is made without evaporated milk (and without using a weird substitute like tofu, because y'all?  The jiggly consistency of tofu grosses me out.  That stuff is just not natural).

The secret ingredient to this dairy-free pumpkin pie?  Coconut milk!  I have my friend Anne (of the famous cinnamon baked oatmeal!) to thank for cluing me in on this secret.  What would I do without her??

My ingredient picks:


Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients
1 recipe for single-crust pie
1 15-oz can pumpkin
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
2 slightly beaten eggs
3/4 cup coconut milk/cream/half-and-half (I use lite coconut milk)

Directions
Line a  nine-inch pie plate with crust.  For filling, combine pumpkin, sugar, and spices in a medium bowl.  Add eggs.  Beat lightly with fork just until combined.  Gradually add milk; stir until combined.  Pour filling into pastry.  Bake in 375 degree oven for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.  Refrigerate within 2 hours.


The end result? Pure deliciousness.
Please don't mind my crust; I have yet to perfect a homemade crust!  They taste great, despite looking a little bit...rustic ;)
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Yummy, yum! I love pumpkin everything. I will have to try this when the weather cools down a bit and I can run the oven! Also, sorry about your early morning! :( No fun! And, come back and blog! I miss your posts!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I'm not a huge pumpkin pie fan, but I have some dairy-free friends who will love this recipe! :)

    Have you tried Alton Brown's method for pie crust? (It uses a food processor) It's quick/easy/and has worked every time we've used it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be back for real soon Becca, I promise ;) And Hanna, I'm assuming I can find that pie crust recipe on the food network?? I might need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever to use coconut milk! I'm definitely going to try it out. I've been CRAVING fall recipes lately, and this looks perfect :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it be ok to use all coconut milk needing it to be dairy free and I don't have the lite milk will that be ok

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this with regular coconut milk - came out very brown, but delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]