10.04.2011

DIY $1 Scarf Organizer

While I'm hopeful that winter will not come this year, I'm acutely aware that it will.  The frost on my car yesterday (and plants - shoot!) is hard to ignore.  

If you're anything like me, you bundle up totheMAX at the first sign of colder weather.  I have no shame in admitting that both thermals and gloves came out for me in September.  And while I might loathe winter, I do mildly enjoy dressing for it.  Namely in the form of scarves.  I have a few dozen.  My scarf collection is like a trip around the world...plus several from Target ;) 


My ever-growing scarf collection does pose a problem however - the art of storing the scarves so that they are accessible, easy to put away and don't get super wrinkled (all of which my current method of storing causes - shoving into a hanging shelf in our entryway coat closet) has eluded me.


Until now, that is.  When all else fails, head to the dollar store, and come up with a solution so simple that it's silly.  Ready for the too-easy how-to?  

1: Buy a pack of shower curtain rings (there's your $1):


 2.  Go home and link them all together in a long chain:


3: Tape around the joints where the rings open so that they don't snag your scarves (leave a ring on one of the ends un-taped).


4: Layer on the scarves, shortest ones towards the bottom so that they don't hit the floor:


5: Load it up with all of your scarves and use the open/non-taped hook at the end to hang it around the rod in your coat closet:


And voila!  So simple, yet so useful!  Plus now I have room to put all of my hats/mittens on those hanging shelves in our coat closet - double win ;)  

I'll be sharing this simple idea at these awesome link parties this week...be sure to check them out!  

See this featured over at Bacon Time with the Hippos!
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Brilliant! My current scarf storage looks like your former method - and wrinkling is definitely an issue.

    I totally collect scarves as travel souvenirs - isn't it fun to bring home something with an actual use (okay, so I'm not into tchotchkes) that reminds you of the places you've been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this idea and am totally going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so smart!!!! I have command hooks on the inside of my closet door, but they are DEFinitely not big enough anymore. YAY SCARVES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so smart, wish I had an excuse to wear scarves they are purely ornamental here in texas, hardly ever gets that cold here.

    Thanks for linking up to It's a Keeper Thursday, I am co-hosting this week, hope you will stop by to say hi.

    I pinned this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the sweet comments (and pins!). I apparently made a scarf organizer just in time for it to be unseasonably warm...almost 80 today! Fine by this girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very inventive!!! found you on the bacon time with the hungry hungry hypo link party

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, I am going to feature this at Bacon Time on Thursday afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, what a wonderful way of organizing your scarves. I have lots also and get fed up with having to neatly fold them every time I need to put them away. Thanks for sharing. I recently found your blog and am now following. Please pop on over to mine and perhaps you would also like to follow me. I would like that. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this!! It worked great and so easy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]