10.30.2011

Oil-Free Pumpkin Granola Recipe

We've pretty much come to the conclusion that I love pumpkin anything.  You name it, I dig it.  Pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies...and yes, pumpkin granola!  Thankfully, the Hubby doesn't mind pumpkin too much ;)


I originally found this recipe via Pinterest (where I seem to find, um, everything these days), from Two Peas and Their Pod.  After making it twice, I put a photo of its delicious yumminess up on Facebook...and everybody and their sister asked me for the recipe!  So here's my take on this delicious concoction...which isn't much different from the original, save for my add-ins!



Pumpkin Granola
Ingredients:
5 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (heaping)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (heaping)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup dried cranberries *
1/3 cup sunflower seeds *
1/2 cup sliced almonds *

*or whatever dried fruit/nuts/seeds you fancy!  If I had pepitas, I would use those!

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, spices, and salt. Mix well.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into oat mixture and stir until the oats are evenly coated. They will be moist. Evenly and thinly spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the oven and stir. Bake for an additional 15-25 minutes or until the granola is golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and stir in dried cranberries, nuts and seeds. Let cool completely (or you'll end up with mushy granola). Store in an airtight container.

This won't get quite as crunchy as some granolas, because it isn't laden with oil. I think sacrificing a little crunch for health is okay though ;)  The Hubby tells me that it's delicious as a yogurt parfait, but I wouldn't know.  I can tell you though, that it is perfect with (not-from-a-cow) milk over the top of it! 


I'll be sharing this oil-free pumpkin granola at some fun link parties this week!  ;)

See this featured at Bacon Time with the Hungry Hypo! 

Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, this looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing it, MJ. I found your blog thru Under the Table and Dreaming. We just finished pumpkin month on our blog. (a new pumpkin recipe EVERY Friday in October!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, because you love pumpkin everything, I'll share my weekend with you...

    I bought a pumpkin in Sturgis this weekend so that we could carve it in Grand Rapids. On the trip, while the pumpkin was in my car, it apparently broke and spilled out everywhere. Now, I don't drive my car over the weekend (I steal Scott's)... so I didn't notice how bad the spill was until this morning at 6am. Trust me, you wouldn't like pumpkin smell for an entire 1 hour 40 min drive after it sat over the weekend. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds tasty! I'll have to try it once I cook up our pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I just returned from Kroger with the ingredients. I'll be making it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good! I would be delighted if you would link it up to my new linky party @ http://www.projectpossessed.com/spaahhh-sundaze/spaahhh-sundaze-116/

    Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I would love to have you link up to my new linky
    http://cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com/2011/11/mmmmm-monday-1-on-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]