10.15.2011

Pinterest Love: No Heat Hair Curling

I don't normally post about things related to hair and/or hair styling.  Why?  Because I am completely slightly hair stupid.  Yes, it's true:  I can barely do my own hair.  I mean, okay, I can blow dry and run a flat iron over my hair.  But after that?  I can barely pull it back into a barrette.   This is how my hair looks pretty much every day: straight and down.  Unless it's in a super glamorous pony tail. 

Helllooooo Emily + Colorado!

Enter: Pinterest (solving the world's problems, one pin at a time!).  There are tons of pretty hair styles on there, all of which I know I cannot do.  So you can imagine my overflowing joy when I found a hair style that not only required minimal effort, but was, dare I say, pretty!?!  The best part?  I tried it and learned that even I can pull it off!  It's way more simple than the whole blow dry/flat iron routine.  

Get pumped.  I am.  I feel like I've stuck hair gold!  You know those girls, who have that hair, the hair that is voluminous and full of soft, gentle curls, where birds fly around them and angels sing?  There is potential for that with this hair curling technique.  I mean, I haven't hear any angels singing, but the Hubby does like it!  Basically, it's an "overnight" hair style - wash your hair the night before and let it air dry, then twist it up into a lovely 'do using an elastic headband, and let it out in the morning to reveal the magic curls!

Me, with magic curls.  Sorry, I'm awkward.  You all know that.  I apologize.

Here's the Pin that started it all [thank you to The Paper Mama for playing guinea pig!].  This worked well with my hair which is a) ridiculously thick and b) just past my shoulders.  It normally doesn't hold a curl from a curling iron for more than three hours, and this lasted all day (relaxing some, obviously).  I did put in some curling mousse prior to winding it up into the elastic, and followed the "spray the heck" out of it recommendation.

The way you put your hair overnight looks a little...mature.  The Hubby and I were trying so hard to figure out who it makes me look like, and it finally came to me: 

  photo source 

Kitty from That '70s Show!  Terrible, no?  That might be a potential blackmail photo on the left, but you can see how the hair should be twisted into the elastic, so I'm showing you regardless!

Ready for the video how-to?  This gal does a very thorough job at explaining every possible detail.   By saying that, I mean that the entire time that she spends shooting this video is about twice as long as it actually takes to do it.

Just FYI, I do not brush out the curls like she does.  

This works so well!  I've done it a couple of times now...the shorter you leave your hair in the elastic, the looser the curls become.  I've told quite a few people about this, and they've had good results too (right Amanda??).  Here's how mine looked after leaving in the elastic for about six hours:


I'm telling you...hair gold!  Try it and let me know how it works for you!  I'll be sharing this awesome trick with some of these parties this week.

See these curls featured at A Little Knick Knack and at It's a Keeper!!

Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Nice! I'll have to give this a go, though I have A LOT of hair so most of the time these things don't work perfectly for me.

    P.S. You are one pretty lady! Seriously. Curls or no curls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Wow. Wow. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this tonight! Thanks for sharing!

    Found your link via Chic on a Shoestring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this too! It's so easy! Tip: if you have a natural war or curl already like I do, just do this for about an hour or so. If you sleep on it it's a total fro. I was late to work because of it. You look si pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair looked so cute on Friday! I need to try this...as I have no idea how to ever successfully curl my hair.

    P.S. That picture is hilarious... I can just picture the comments from Scott as I'm trying this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your curly hair! It looks beautiful. I found your blog and have loved getting to know you. I write a blog and about what it is like being married to a doctor in training, so I think we can definitely relate to each others blogs!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude. You are, like, ridiculously, ridiculously beautiful. Curls or not, but especially with those curls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I also stumbled on an "overnight" curling technique thanks to Home Stories A2Z last week. I did a post on it after trying it myself... and like you... I am NOT a hair person!

    You can check it out on my blog if you want! Just search for "sock bun"

    Thanks for sharing! Going to have to give yours a go!

    Dana @ craftedniche.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You hair looks gorgeous! I can't wait to try this!! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to try this! Thank u for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I know all about hair stupidity - thank goodness for flat irons, as I can barely wield a hair dryer successfully.

    But these curls are gorgeous! You look just lovely. I'm repinning for when my hair finally gets long enough to try...

    p.s. nice bedspread. I have the same one in blue :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have evil wavy hair that never does what I want. Half is waves, other side looks like a poodle and I hate it!
    If I want nice curls this is how I have to do my hair because if I use a curling iron they fall out.
    Thank you for this! Now I can send this link to my friends when they ask me! I have done this for years <3 Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hair looks gorgeous! I'm wondering if it would make my very curly hair soften a bit into your pretty curls. I think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow??? Seriously!? That looks amazing. I want to try it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is SOOO great! I'm actually a hairstylist but I haven't ever tried this! What a great way to keep from damaging your hair with heat too:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute I had to feature this! Come grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are absolutely adorable! And way ahead of me on the whole blog thing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! Your post was one of the most popular links on It's a Keeper Thursday and I've featured you! I’d love if you stopped by and grabbed a button.

    And, feel free to link up another great post this week too!

    Cheers!
    Christina @ It's a Keeper
    Follow me on Facebook and Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look so pretty! I'll have to show this to my daughter. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not able to see the video. It says it is private. :( Can't find it on youtube either. Do I need to follow you to be able to see it?

    Loribell19@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know about this new technique. We will definitely try it out.

    Also became a follower.

    Melissa
    redflycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh, you rock. I tried the headband curl thing today, by leaving the headband in overnight, and my curls turned out way too tight. I'm definitely going to not leave the band in so long this time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]