11.17.2011

How to Download Fonts (with screenshots!)

If you're anything like me, you don't get super excited about the standard fonts on your computer.  In fact, certain fonts might make you cringe (don't even get me started on Parchment. Or Times New Roman!).  

When I am creating something special (wedding invitations and Christmas cards!), I like to use unique fonts to give things a bit more pizazz.  Thank goodness there are awesome websites where you can download wonderful fonts for free!  My favorite one is da Font (unfortunately not making money from endorsing them...just really do love the site!). 

Never downloaded a font before?  It is super simple.  Let me walk you through the steps (I even got fancy and included screenshots.  Oohhh, yes!).  I'm using Firefox as my browser, but the steps are the same for Internet Explorer.   

First, find a font you love, then simply click the gray "Download" box.  Choose to "Save File" when prompted.  

 
From your Downloads screen, right click and open the downloaded font file.   


[At this point, I make sure that I've closed any program that uses fonts (Word/Publisher/PSE) and open up my "Fonts" folder (found in your Control Panel).]

After the downloaded file is opened, click on the "Extract all Files" button.   


When you extract the files, this will pop up.  I just use the default destination, and make sure the "Show extracted files when complete" box is checked.  Then click "Extract".


After you extract the files, you need to copy the font file into your Fonts Folder.  The font file will either be an OpenType or TrueType file.  Sometimes there will be more than one file in your extracted items (a read-me file, a .jpg file, etc).  Don't copy any of those into your font file.  Also, sometimes there will be multiple Type files for any given font (for special characters/italic/bold/etc).  Rule of thumb: any file that is an OpenType or TrueType file should be copied, anything that is not an OpenType or TrueType file should not be copied. To copy the files, I simply highlight, drag, and drop them into my Font Folder.


My computer always prompts me to make sure I really want to copy the file into the folder.  Just click yes through that, and the font will copy into your folder and be ready for use!  Open up Word and try it out.

Simple, right?  Now you have no reason to use Lucinda Calligraphy on your Christmas cards ;)  I'll be sharing with these great places this week...Enjoy the wonderful world of fabulous fonts!

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Great tutorial..I love it.. Very inspirational blog you have here.. So much creativity.. Officially following ya with smiles.. I'm Marilyn and will love for you to stop in sometime.. I have a Pin'Inspirational party happening right now I'd LOVE for you to link this to please..? TY so much.. Wishing you a great start to your weekend.. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/pininspirational-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said! It drives me nuts sometimes seeing people using just the default fonts - especially when they have a digital cutter or another fancy tool that could do so much more if they learned a few tricks.

    I've also found that if you double-click on the font file, it opens a preview window with an "Install font" button (at least in windows 7, don't remember if that was true before). Sometimes that's faster than opening the fonts folder.

    And recently I've discovered a free program called NexusFont that lets you sort your fonts, so I can type in a sample test and see it in all the fonts I have, or just the fonts in the "script" list or the "san serif" list or whatever. Makes it much easier to choose one I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! I also do like Caitlyn above. But have not heard of the NexusFont and will be giving that a try!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie this week! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got so many skills. Thanks for sharing all these tips!

    PS: I gave you an award over on my blog. Check it out when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks heaps your infomation was great, so helpful
    thanks again

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]