12.17.2011

Cowboy Caviar Recipe

Need a super quick and easy appetizer (one that you make the night before) for an upcoming Christmas party?  I give you Cowboy Caviar (or you can call it Santa Fe Salad, if you prefer a slightly nicer name!) - a bean and corn salad with onion, tomato and bell pepper, topped off with a sweet and tangy sauce.  This is based off of my mother's recipe....modified slightly for my taste buds and to reduce the amount of oil and sugar.  Hope you don't mind, Mom!



Cowboy Caviar
Ingredients
1 can black (or pinto) beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can black eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
1 can corn (drained and rinsed)
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 red onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup olive oil

Directions:
Combine beans, peas, corn, tomatoes (with tomato liquid), red onion & bell pepper in large bowl.  In small sauce pan, bring the vinegar, sugar and olive oil to a boil; boil for two minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool slightly before pouring over the bean/veggie mixture.  Mix and refrigerate overnight.  Stir before serving.

This salad is great served with tortilla chips or frito-style corn chips, or even just by itself.  And there are lots of pretty colors.  The ability to make this the night before results in it being my go-to dish to bring for minimal holiday headaches.

I'll be sharing this yummy recipe with these fun parties this week!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Oh Yum... I do something similar & it is my family's favorite..
    All the above mentioned. I often do all the colors of peppers, fresh tomatoes & then no dressing, but just a pkg. of dry ranch dressing & toss. The tomatoes have enough water/juice to mix in the dry dressing...best to eat this pretty quickly as it tends to get a little juicy overnight...

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]