1.16.2012

Crispy Baked Falafel Recipe

So you may or may not know that the Hubby is of Lebanese heritage.  (And Polish, among other things.  But I like to focus on the Lebanese part...primarily because then I can pretend that I'm Lebanese too!).  My palate for Middle Eastern foods has grown quite a bit since meeting, dating and marrying the Hubby.  Rolled grape leaves, fattoush, pita and hummus, tabouli, kibbeh, lamb & tahini (on and in everything), baklava, shwarma, toum, etc etc.  Delicous to the max.  

But there is one Lebanese delicacy that the in-laws and family don't eat for some reason: falafel.  After trying it for the first time from the only place where we ever get carry-out our local Lebanese restaurant, I was in love.  Then, serendipity: the lovely Sarah posted this recipe for Baked Falafel on her blog!  I made it and it is beyond awesome.  Perhaps better than the place down the street.  (Don't tell Ishmael!).  I followed her ingredient list and proportions, but cooked them a little differently to get that crispy feeling (without deep frying!).  If you want to only dirty one baking sheet, see her post...but if you don't mind getting a skillet dirty too, then see below ;)

Thanks for the wonderful recipe, Sarah!



Crispy Baked Falafel 
Ingredients
1-15oz. can chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1/2 medium red onion (squeeze in towel to remove extra moisture)
1 large egg
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. dried parsley

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.  

Heat a skillet over medium heat.  Lightly spray with olive oil, and using cookie scoop, scoop out the batter into small patties onto the skillet, lightly flattening with the back of your scoop.  Allow to cook until the bottoms are lightly browned, and then flip and let the other side cook until lightly browned.  Remove from skillet and place on a parchment- or Silpat-lined baking sheet.  Repeat with remaining batter.  

Bake browned falafel in preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  

Serve while still warm in pita with hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and red onion, on top of a salad, or eat directly off of baking sheet ;)



Salivating yet?  


Now you are!  ;)  Sharing the yummy goodness with these parties...
Pin It

See this recipe featured over at Scissors & Spatulas - thanks for the feature, Jen ;) 
Also see it featured at Bacon Time - thanks Mindie!! 

11 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! I will definitely be trying this... Falafel is one vegetarian meal I love, and I've been trying to incorporate some more of those around here - but haven't yet found a version that the hubby loves. Okay, so I've only tried Trader Joe's frozen kind, but this recipe looks easy enough for me to tackle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the photo, I wish my foodie creations come out nearly as good :P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 9:30 am and I want some falafel! This looks so yummy! I'm featuring it today on my site! Thanks for sharing!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I've been craving falafel for weeks and now I'm gonna have to cave and go make it. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've made falafel before (but, I'm ashamed to say, it was from a box mix). Your recipe is just begging to happen this weekend; thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Man. I L-O-V-E falafel but rarely eat it. The oil they fry it in at my fav middle eastern restaurant makes my mouth burn (not good!) so I usually just stare longingly. I'm going to be making this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made this for dinner, twas excellent!! To accompany the falafel we made savory sourdough crepes and a sauce of greek yogurt, diced cucumber, dill, and cayenne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled across this blog and just had to comment... my husband is also Lebanese and Polish (but he's not a doctor... I am). What a coincidence. Thanks for posting what looks like an awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I am so glad all of you are excited about this - if you haven't made it yet, GO DO SO NOW ;) It is a little bite of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so good. Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]