1. Avoiding the "what's-for-dinner" question. I hate that question. Seriously, it drives me bonkers. I like to know what I'm cooking or eating without any question or scrounging.
2. Knowing what to buy at the store. If I don't know what I'm cooking, how can I shop?
3. Reducing the number of trips to the store. Very rarely do I need to run to the store extra times during the week because I don't have the necessary ingredients to make a meal. If you grocery shop where I grocery shop, you would understand that it is a ZOO, and entering there as seldom as possible is preferred.
So...here is this week's menu. It's a little different than normal, because the Hubby's parents will be in town from Florida, and it is our niece's birthday, so we will have a couple of dinners away from home. But nevertheless:
- Monday (I make dinner for the Hubby's med school Bible study this night, so it's always a ridiculous quantity of food for 12-18 people): Beef enchiladas, bean and cheese enchiladas, crockpot Spanish rice, chips and salsa and salad with a creamy Mexican dressing.
- Tuesday: A spin-off of this Italian Sausage and Orzo Skillet, using chicken sausage, different veggies and some other modifications, with asparagus.
- Wednesday: Skillet roasted chicken with new potatoes, broccoli and salad
- Thursday: Mushu pork with mixed veggies, broccoli slaw and rice noodles
- Friday: Out to dinner with the Hubby's parents. Most likely to the local Lebanese place ;)
- Saturday (we've been going to church on Saturday evenings, which means we leave home at 5pm and get home at 7.30pm - the joys of living 30 minutes from our church! - so I normally do a crockpot dinner so that it's ready to eat by the time we get home): Crockpot pineapple chicken curry, with (either) lentils or rice and broccoli.
- Sunday: Our niece's birthday party!
So that's about it! I rarely cook anything extravagant, though I do still try to make something new and different at least one night a week (though this week there are three new options: Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday!). Also I've gotten out of the habit of baking my own bread, which I should really start doing again.
Mmmm....bread. What were we talking about again???