3.24.2012

Classic Whole Wheat Dinner Roll Recipe

I absolutely love any variety of homemade bread.  Not only do I enjoy eating it, I enjoy making it.  There is just something so wonderful and pure about mixing all of the ingredients together and kneading it with your own hands, letting it rise and shaping it into a delicious, yummy, carb-filled creation, just like people have been doing for hundreds and hundreds of years.  


That's about as close to poetic as I get  ;)  Seriously though, this recipe is divine.  I cut it out of some magazine a long time ago, but had no idea which.  Because I believe in good blogging etiquette, I googled until I found it: apparently the original recipe came from Fleischmann's Yeast, as that linked recipe is practically identical to mine!   I did lessen the amount of sugar slightly - shocker ;)  My method varies slightly from theirs too...less time with the beaters!


Classic Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
Prep: 40 minutes  Rise: 30 minutes  Bake: 15-18 minutes
Ingredients
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
4.5 tsp. yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk (or milk substitute - plain soy, almond or rice work nicely)
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. butter, margarine, or coconut oil or spread
1+ cups of all purpose flour

Directions
Combine the whole wheat flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees F). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at low/medium speed with electric mixer.  Stir in 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface, adding additional flour as needed to keep from sticking, until smooth and elastic (about 6 to 8 minutes). Cover the dough with the bowl; let rest 10 minutes.

Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls (see below!). Place in greased 8 or 9-inch round pan - three rolls in the center, and nine around the edges. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.  The rolls will be touching after they've risen - this is what you want.  Score the tops with a sharp knife if desired.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Bake fully risen rolls for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown (or internal temperature of 180-190 degrees). Remove from pan; brush with additional melted butter, if desired. Pull apart and serve warm.


Need help shaping your rolls?  Basically, I just pat my dough down into a disk and cut it in half, and half again, so that I have quarters.  Each quarter of dough needs to be divided into thirds, so that you'll end up with 12 dinner rolls total.  After forming the dough into a ball, I use this technique (starting at 1:15) to shape the rolls - basically cupping the dough ball in your hand on the counter, and letting gravity and the counter form it into a nice shape for you.


If you've never made any type of yeast bread before, I would encourage you to try this one.  I never really realized there was a fear of yeast among some of the bakers of the world - no one ever told me that yeast can be finicky, so the first time I made a bread, I just did what the directions said.  And thankfully it worked.  The trick is to get your liquid nice and warm - a little warmer than you'd choose to have it to take a shower, but not scalding hot.

And that's it!  Just over a half an hour of hands-on time, and you'll be rewarded with some delicious and traditional whole wheat rolls. 


I'll be sharing the yummy goodness with these parties this week...Come join the fun!

3 comments:

  1. Looks lovely. We did a bible study on Jesus is the bread of life and the youth made some bread like this together. Definitely made to be shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm these look wonderful!!! I love any kinda of fresh homemade bread too, and this looks so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]