4.07.2012

Clinical Skills: Playing Vampires

There are various clinical skills which second year students learn and experience for the first time: giving bad news, cardiac exams, child hospital visits, rectal exams, pulmonary exams, etc, etc.  They usually either a) have actors simulated patients come to school to practice their new skills, or b) troop over to the hospital to interview and examine willing patients.

The clinical skill to be learned this week?  Phlebotomy.  The practice patients?  Fellow classmates.  Better hope your partner likes you!


Just feel sorry for those in the class with large and easy to find veins, as they were victims multiple times...

Next week's clinical skill is the pelvic exam.  I promise there will be no photos!

4 comments:

  1. I love the new layout. Super cute. Hope your arms heal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAH. Okay, omg, this might be TMI, but does your husbands school provide them with videos to watch for the physical exams? Derek's does. Let's just saw I accidently saw a sneak of the pelvic one....and the actress lady didn't shave. For reals?!?! 20 med students working on you a day and you don't clean up?! I couln't believe it. And, yes, we might still be coming to Michigan at the end of May! Just waiting to hear from Yale to see if he can do his 4th year CORE rotation with them! But, if they are full (because he was just dropped from his last one because of legal issues- yes, dropped 2 months before we are supposed to go) we are off to Michigan! Somewhere called Clinton's Township?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one of the approximately one million times I've said: "I'm so glad I didn't go to medical school"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! I didn't know they did that!! In nursing school we are very emphatically told we do NOT stick fellow students when practicing IV starts and anything to do with needles - YIKES.... On another note, I LOVE your new layout! Someday I'll get back to blogging and update mine...whenever that is...

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]