5.06.2012

Halfway Done: DIY Fabric Kindle Case

 

We are officially done with MS2 (tomorrow)!  My dear, sweet husband got me a little celebratory present...


True to form, he got an awesome deal on this Kindle - last week, if you bought a Kindle for $79 at Walmart, you got a $30 gift card back!  We very rarely shop at Walmart (primarily due to the fact that the one by us is slightly ghetto), but this was worth the trip!


It's so cute and light!  Naturally, I needed a case.  Also naturally, I thought the majority of the ones on Amazon were overpriced.  So....after some brainstorming and a trip to Joann's to purchase enough fabric for two cases for a whopping $3...


I created this.  Lovely, no?  (The number of times I used my seam ripper, on the other hand, was not lovely.  Conceptualization is not my strong suit). On the inside left, there is a pocket to store the Kindle when not in use.

 

Then, it fits snugly into the corners for reading:

 

I've already found the list of top free Kindle books on Amazon...and plan on checking it frequently!  I've already borrowed my first eBook from our library as well.  

While I have always loved reading books, as in actual books, I think my love for simplicity and lack of clutter is going to lead to my loving the tininess of the Kindle.  

I'll be sharing my Kindle Case with these lovely link parties this week!  

See this Kindle Case featured on DIY by Design...thanks, Judy! ;) 
Also, see this eatured at Doodles & Stitches - thanks so much, Nicole! 

15 comments:

  1. MJ,

    This case is darling! And I'm sure you will love your kindle. Don't forget you can often check out ebooks from your local library so you don't have purchase all of them. The downside is that sometimes, there is a long line.

    Congrats on 1/2 through med school. That's an accomplishment. My MIL gave ME a gift when my husband graduated business school.

    I'm visiting from the Making the World Cuter linky party. I would love if you stopped by my blog.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! I had a hard time finding a case for my kindle fire that I really liked. I guess I should have just created my own! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, halfway! That's exciting. Such a sweet gift (which you totally deserve), and a fabulous DIY. I will have to remember this for when I finally give in and get a Kindle. I am a big believer in real books and lining them up on my shelves, but I'm starting to change my mind - Kindles are just so lightweight and convenient! One-handed reading might be worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fabric choice is amazing! What is it/where did it come from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In case others are curious too...the gold fabric hails from Joann's: http://www.joann.com/keepsake-calico-fabric-green-berries/zprd_01843119a/
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made a kindle cover this week and featured it on my blog and let me just say that this one is 100 times cooler. I think I'm going to have to redo mine :) I would love for you to post this on my link party at... http://www.doodlesandstitches.com/2012/05/link-party-time.html
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful husband, and an awesome gift! I would love a kindle someday, my grandma loves hers.
    BTW I look at that fabric every time I go into Joanns. I just need to buy some of it.
    New Follower
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I wish I could sew so that I could make this, I am always searching for the perfect kindle case! and woo hoo for being halfway done with school, so sweet of your hubby to get you a kindle to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from Somewhat Simple link party =)

    I absolutely adore this! And the fabric choices too! I've had a Kindle Fire since Christmas and still have not purchased a cover because of how expensive they are. I'm a nervous wreck that I'm going to scratch the front so either buying/making a cover is imminent, lol

    Oh, and I work in a library so keep supporting your library and ebooks =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job. I will be featuring this tonight at my Swing into Spring party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great! Husband gave me a Kindle for my birthday and I still haven't found a cover that I love for it. Maybe I should commission you to make one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for posting the link to my party at Doodles and Stitches :) I've gotta redo my kindle cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! You are being featured tomorrow on http://www.doodlesandstitches.com/. You're welcome to grab a "featured button" and add it to your blog! Thank you for posting this awesome kindle cover. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your kindle case. I have a case for my kindle but I like change. I'm going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]