9.30.2012

Fall = Bread Baking

One of my favorite things to bake is bread.  I've been a fairly regular bread-baker for the past two years.  From scratch, no Kitchen Aid, hearty, wholesome, delicious bread. 

That being said - I am only a bread-baker for three out of four seasons of the year.  There is about a zero percent chance of me turning on our oven for ANYTHING during the summer.  But guess what!?  It's officially fall.  And fall means it's time to break out my kneading hands again.  


Last winter, I fell in love with a new type of bread.  If you're on Pinterest, you've probably seen it, as it's been pinned over 15,000 times (see exhibit A).  On Our Best Bites, the recipe creates two loaves, which two people should not (but easily could) consume in one week, so my modified recipe makes a single loaf.  Other modifications include removing the pretty-yet-messy oats on the outside of the loaf.  While they may look lovely, they fall off everywhere while slicing the bread, and I just don't have the patience for that.  Also, there's a flax seed addition, because there's nothing better than a little crunch! 



This is my favorite bread straight from the oven.  It has a deliciously chewy texture without being overly dense. 

Seven Grain Bread
makes one loaf

Ingredients
½ cup + 2 Tbsp seven-grain hot cereal mix
1 ¼ cups boiling water
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

¾ cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter or dairy-free margarine
2 tsp. yeast
1½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp. flax seeds
 


Directions 
Place cereal in large bowl; pour boiling water over and stir to combine.  Cover with towel and let set until cooled to 100 degrees, stirring occasionally (about 30 minutes).  If cooled below 100 degrees, microwave for 20-30 seconds.

Melt butter and honey in microwave. Add yeast and combine into hot cereal mix.  Add in flour ½ cup at a time.  Stir together with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together and looks shaggy.  Transfer the dough to a clean counter and knead by hand to form a rough ball.  Let rest 20 minutes, covered with dough bowl. 

Add salt and flax seeds; knead to combine into a smooth, round ball.  Place into greased bowl, cover with a towel and let rise until doubled 45-60 minutes.

Shape bread and place in greased loaf pan.  Cover and let rise 30-40 minutes.  

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 190 degrees.

Slice thickly and try not to eat the entire loaf in one sitting ;)

I'll be sharing this Seven Grain Bread recipe with a few fabulous blogs this week, which, as always, are featured on the "Link Parties" tab above.  

 

2 comments:

  1. I am a bread lover but have never really tried baking it... This looks awfully good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baking bread too! I have had quite a time trying to get bread right in the high altitude. I do not know what seven grain cereal is. I am going to look for it at the store. I am determined to get it right, with my soy lecithin allergy it is almost impossible to buy store bought bread with exception to the french bread, artesan, etc in the grocery bakery.

    I'm going to give this a try.

    Oh the reason I was in your recipes is because I am going to make the granola again. I love this granola, well I tweek it a bit, cut the peanut butter to about 1TBS, add; molasses, honey, sesame seeds and dried cherries. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]