1.15.2013

The First Trimester

By no means am I anticipating that this blog will become solely a pregnancy/baby blog, but it feels odd to not talk about the fact that there's a human being growing inside of me. ;) I can promise you that there won't be a weekly update, as a) there's no guarantee that I post every week, b) we've been terrible at taking pictures (I think I have weeks 8, 12 and 18), and c) quite frankly, not that much changes week to week, at least nothing that interesting.  So maybe we'll aim for a trimester update. 

In fact, this is shaping up to be a pretty uninteresting pregnancy (hopefully it remains that way!).  We're not finding out the sex of the baby.  There isn't a nursery for me to decorate and show you - though there will be a crib in the corner of the room currently serving as my husband's office/my craft area/the guest bedroom.  The names we pick out will remain a secret (not that we have any chosen, or have actually even discussed such a thing in detail).  I haven't had any extreme food cravings (save for cauliflower!), and even if I was....do you really care to know?  We already took our babymoon to Mexico and even that wasn't that interesting - while we totally enjoyed lots of laying by the pool, reading, hanging out with our family, going to bed early, drinking cold corona, and eating more guacamole than should be allowed, it's not that interesting of a subject about which to read.  

But, for prosperity's sake, I'll share a few things that helped me during my first trimester:

image source
  Necessary every.single.morning around 9am.  

image source
To be paired with above.  Also often consumed seated on bathroom floor, chanting "don't throw up don't throw up."

image source
I didn't use this as much as I would have liked in the first trimester, but this is a pretty good workout.  I was worried it would be really wimpy, but after completing my 40 pushups, I thought otherwise.

image source
While I didn't gain any weight the first trimester, I needed a belly band starting around week 8.  Why?  I have no idea.  My hips must have gotten wider or something.  All I know is that while I could still button my jeans, it was super uncomfortable.  Plus, I mean, Thanksgiving dinner. 

Lots of QT with the bed.  LOTS.  I could sleep ten hours at night and still feel like I wanted to take a nap at 2pm.

image source
Thirsty much?  Our PUR water filter totally got a workout...and is still! 

All in all, I feel like I really can't complain about my first trimester.  Yes, I was tired constantly and I had quite a bit of nausea, but I didn't actually get sick too frequently.  It worked out perfectly that my husband was on his psych rotation (read: lighter hours) so that he could do things I was unable to do, namely cooking dinner.  Smelling something while it was cooking and then eating it was impossible for me.  And if it involved cooking meat - forget about it.  We heard a heartbeat at 12 weeks and I saw our baby at 13 weeks for a dating ultrasound (sans the husband - medical school calls).   Next week, we have our 20 week ultrasound, where we won't find out the gender :)  My husband has already put in a form for 2 hours of excused absence!   

So far, I'm loving the second trimester.  Energy AND an appetite?  Who knew the combination would be so wonderful! 

18 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the schedule actually worked to your advantage :) Here's to hoping crazy med schedules will always work in your favor with all future buns-in-the-oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't have planned it better - 1st trimester = psych. Due date = during family medicine. ;)

      Delete
  2. But... but... how will I go on without knowing what fruit your baby resembles this week?!

    40 pushups?! That's insane. I guess that's to prepare you for all that heavy lifting you'll be doing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sweet potato! ;) I should clarify - it's 4 sets of 10 pushups.

      Delete
  3. Glad it's all going so smoothly! Cauliflower? Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still loving the cauliflower! Any way it can be made...in a dish, raw with hummus, steamed, you name it. Is it too early for cauliflower?! ;)

      Delete
  4. Adorable post. Glad to hear that your first trimester went so well...and SO nice that you have already gotten a babymoon in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has it in his mind that we are going to take a second babymoon/road trip over his spring break when I will be 33 weeks. We'll see about that....potty breaks every hour!

      Delete
  5. Well beauty, your first trimester is sparkling with MJ! So happy you are doing well, love your realistic expectations of "nursery" and not trying to do something beyond budget (well of course not)

    I love you and think and pray for you often. Just did a quick catch up on your blog.
    This might be a budget buster but I just bought these for Erin http://www.apeainthepod.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=130990256&MasterCategory_Id=MC25 and she loves them. She is 21 weeks and last pregnancy wore low cut maternity jeans. She loves the over the belly and these are long enough to wear with anything. Just thought I would share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize Erin was pregnant again! Those pants look amazing - and I love that you know I need and love me some long jeans ;) These are the types of things you mention to your mom (hint hint Mom!!). Miss you so Susie.

      Delete
  6. I love that you are doing well! And LOVE even more that you aren't making this all about baby. Those weekly posts with the chalkboard...enough! I don't care if you have your wedding ring on or off. HA HA.

    I don't know what we will do when we have a baby sometime in residency. Hopefully I'm not sick or I learn to just deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure those types of posts are great for blogs that are primarily geared towards distant family members....but as far as I know, the only family members of mine that read my blog are my parents and sister! I'll complain enough to them in person/via phone when my rings don't fit anymore ;) When baby toes comes along, God will give you the grace to handle it either way!

      Delete
  7. So happy for MJ. Glad to hear your first trimester wasn't so bad. Here's to the super women trimester, rest and appetite what more could a girl ask for! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly not much Savannah! I'm loving the current combo ;)

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, I've been a little behind in blog reading... so a slightly belated big congratulations! That's exciting news, but I think having no "exciting" things to report about it at the moment is probably the best way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belated thanks, Anne, for your (belated) congratulations! ;)

      Delete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]