2.12.2013

(Healthy) Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

I know, I know, it's not exactly prime pumpkin season.  But if you're anything like me, you bought several cans of pumpkin puree this past fall with great intentions of making pumpkin pies and pumpkin-filled ravioli and other pumpkiny goodness, and you failed - resulting in cans of pumpkin in your cupboards just waiting to be used.  

While we could just wait for the pumpkin-appropriate season of fall, I decided to do some searching and landed on a pumpkin cookie recipe that I decided to make.  With some tweaking from the inspiration recipe at Eating Well, these ended up being fairly healthy.  (I should market them as "breakfast cookies" so this post will go haywire on Pinterest.  But I won't).  The thing that drives me nuts about most "healthy" cookies is the fact that they still have cups and cups of sugar in them.  There's more to health than low fat! You'll be happy to see that there's only a half a cup of brown sugar in these cookies. 

The ingredient list looks long and has some not-so-normal cookies ingredients.  If you don't have wheat germ in your pantry, just increase your all purpose flour to 1/3 cup.   If you don't have flax seed, then omit the "flax seed egg" and use a regular egg in its place (so 2 eggs total).  



Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
1/4 cup AP flour
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 Tbsp wheat germ
2/3 cup quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 egg
1 Tbsp flax seed meal + 3 Tbsp warm water
1/2 cup brown sugar
¾ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup applesauce
2 Tbsp maple syrup
½ cup dark chocolate chips or raisins (I always go chocolate!)
½ cup walnuts (optional - will lower fat if you omit but I love the crunch!)

Directions

  1. Make your "flax seed egg" by combining the 1 Tbsp flax seed meal and 3 Tbsp warm water in a bowl and let stand 10 minutes until thick.
  2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with olive oil spray.
  3. Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. Whisk egg, flax seed egg, brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and maple syrup in a second bowl until well combined. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined.  Fold in chocolate chips/raisins and walnuts.
  4. Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies 1 1/2 inches apart.  Flatten out cookies slightly with a fork (as you would a peanut butter cookie).
  5. Bake the cookies until firm to the touch and lightly golden on top, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.  3 g fat/86 calories/2g protein/4 g sugar per cookie (including chocolate chips and walnuts).  2 WW+ points



These little guys will not get crisp - they stay fluffy and light, like a muffin top (the good kind of muffin top!).  Due to the pumpkin in the recipe, they will increase in moisture the longer they sit on your counter, so I recommend eating many cookies quickly! ;)  Or I'm sure they'd freeze nicely.

I'll be sharing these healthy pumpkin cookies with these great blog parties this week!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! This looks yummy! I agree- Pinterest drives me crazy. I haven't gone on in MONTHS because I was getting so annoyed with things people were pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I still go on Pinterest....and just laugh when people post terrible-for-you dessert pins followed by six-pack-abs-in-two-weeks pins ;)

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm was honestly just going through my freezer and realizing how much frozen pumpkin puree I need to get rid of before we move this summer... Hooray for a way to use it up. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]