2.04.2013

Nineteen Day Stretch

Today was day 15 of 19 consecutive days for my husband of being at the hospital.  That's every day from January 21st to February 8th.  I realize that perhaps you or your husband has potentially worked more days in a straight stretch than that, but this is a first for us.  

It hasn't been terrible, but I wouldn't call it pleasant.  Primarily the sleeping aspect of it.  It's one thing to wake up when his alarm goes off obnoxiously early in the morning on weekdays, but it's totally another when it happens on the weekend.  More specifically, two weekends in a row. And when your body lacks the ability to ever fall back asleep after being awoken?  Awesome. 

The reason for this long stretch?  For the IM Rotation, there is the requirement of night float, which my husband did the first two weeks of his rotation, and the requirement of four weekend shifts.  Instead of drawing it out towards the end of his rotation, he decided to get it all done and complete.  So it's technically his own fault that his schedule is as such, but I understand the logic behind it.  Now he'll have the last three weekends of IM to study for his shelf exam. 

Thank you, Internal Medicine, for making us sleep deprived.  Sleeping in until 6:15am sounds heavenly.   

[An aside: yesterday afternoon after getting home from his shift, my husband was paged by the nurse of one of his patients.  Last time I checked, med students don't have much authority for administering orders when a patient is in distress.  They wouldn't have authority if the patient stubbed their toe!  The nurse's reason for paging him?  His was the only handwriting she could read in the file (obvious med student mistake!).  He told her to page the resident on call.  A few minutes later, she paged him again and said she couldn't find who was on call.  So my husband looked up the contact info for the resident and let the nurse interrupt her Sunday afternoon instead of his ;) ]

What's the longest consecutive stretch of days that your husband has had to show up at the hospital/to work?  

Linking up to Medical Mondays blog hop...join in the fun!  

 

16 comments:

  1. A 19 day stretch sounds rough. I am fortunate that I can fall back asleep after being woken at crazy hours of the morning. I hope you guys have a nice relaxing weekend together next weekend. Glad you stopped by my blog so I can visit yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so hoping to learn to fall back asleep....I don't understand why I can't ;) We have a birthday party for a 10-year-old niece this weekend; that should be relaxing, right?

      Delete
  2. Ah, that has happened to me too (the being called for orders because nobody could read other people's stuff).
    I am a resident now and one time, I got paged at home in the middle of the night (I was on home call, in their defense) to be asked if I had the cell phone number for an attending on another (related, but nothing to do with me that night) specialty. I, of course did not know it, but then they wanted my attending's number to see if they did. They called me again 20 minutes later because they couldn't find that staff member to see if I could go in and assess this patient (someone else entirely covers this call)... They apparently thought that because I was on-call with a specialty that shares the same inpatient unit, I wouldn't mind.
    Medicolegally this is a terrible idea.
    Oh, the things that happen when people can find you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. I hope that was a one time thing for you, and never occurs for us ;) Thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking up with Medical Mondays. Stretches like those are rough, and honestly at some point you will probably stop keeping count:-) I have heard that the IM rotations are rough, but I can't remember that either! Selective memory or suppressed, I cannot say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully anticipate the day when I can't remember/choose not to remember certain things about medical school. Maybe I'll be able to romanticize it once we're away from it a bit!

      Delete
  4. This will blog your mind. The first year my Doc H took his job at his current hospital, he was the only doc on staff who worked his specialty! He was on call 24/7 for OVER A YEAR!!!!!!!!!! Not one day off except to go to conferences that qualified for CME's. Talk about hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? Is that even legal? So basically he never left a certain radius of your city for an entire year. That sounds...terrible on so many levels. Note to self: never be the only one in your specialty!!

      Delete
    2. Seriously. Never left... never off-call. It was pathetic.

      Delete
  5. No fun! Not gonna lie, your IM rotation is sounding a bit rougher than ours. So far N has gotten Saturday or Sunday off every week. However, since we are heading into the second half of IM (a.k.a. a new hospital) I'm sure there will some changes. Perhaps 6am wake up instead of 5am?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only saving grace is that my husband's actually enjoying what he's learning - the actual "medicine" aspect of IM is appealing to him. May N's new hospital be great!

      Delete
  6. I used to be a bad sleeper too, but I think you eventually get used to it. Now I just relish the thought of my 2 additional hours of sleep after Peter's 4:30 wakeup call... And much as the long stretch of working is no fun for either of you, it's maybe good practice? (Bright side, ha.) We've had 21-day stretches in residency, and while you don't enjoy them you make it through and it never seems quite so awful once it's over and you go on a little date to celebrate a free weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the bright side ;) It probably is though. Twenty-one days...awesome. And I'm sure residency shifts are much longer than med student shifts. I'm counting down the hours until it is officially the weekend!

      Delete
  7. Thought we'd join the party! Thanks for having us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, no! That's rough! I think B has had a least one day off even when he was doing OB/GYN {that's been his most time consuming so far}...his handwriting is completely unreadable...lucky for him! I laughed out loud when I read about the nurse calling! Your IM rotation sounds much worse than ours! It was intense, but there definitely were not 19 day stretches!!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]