9.21.2013

Residency application

After carefully choosing several (okay, thirty one) programs to apply to, updating the CV, getting the necessary letters of recommendation, filling out the mundane application, writing, proofing and rewriting a personal statement, having your entire family (and your former 8th grade English teacher!) proofread over everything to try to catch any potential errors and $450 later, my husband's residency application was submitted on September 15th.

Believe it or not, this was the second-to-last version of his personal statement.  Revisions, revisions!

From Oregon to New York to Georgia to the good ol' Mitten and everywhere in between, my husband applied to internal medicine programs across the country.  It's so exciting to watch as the various programs download his scores and then his application...and even more exciting to receive the emails inviting my husband for an interview!  We very well may be coming to your city to interview soon!  

I literally cannot believe that we are to this point in his medical journey already, or that my husband finally knows what he wants to be when he grows up ;)  More than likely, his (3 year) internal medicine residency will be followed by a (3 year) cardiology fellowship, with a little encore of (1 year) interventional cardiology.  Long story short, Liam will be eight years old by the time my sweet husband has completed his training.  

Eight.
Years.
Old.
:)

But honestly, as long as my husband is doing what he has been called to do and enjoys doing, we will be one happy family.  

12 comments:

  1. How exciting! I hope you end up somewhere fabulous and exciting for the both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeee! Congratulations! That's a big step! Now you wait. And interview. And then wait some more. What an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting - congrats! Can't wait to see what's in store for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! It's done. YAY. Scripps San Diego has a fantastic IM program...maybe we could be neighbors?!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on completing the application process! It's exciting to watch the interview invitations start rolling in. Now you can get ready to start proofreading thank you letters/cards! I think we've decided on critical care fellowships for my husband, so that process will probably creep up on us in no time. Let me know if you happen to stop in Marshfield! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh! I remember how exciting/nerve wracking/money draining/happy it felt to have that turned in. Hopefully you're mostly feeling excited. The waiting and the not having a final say in which city can be hard, but it's also such a fun time to dream about the experiences you could have in a whole new and exciting city for a few years. (And if there happens to be a Cincinnati interview, you must let me know!)

    Also, if it makes you feel better, I was 10 when my dad finished residency :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come to Ann Arbor! I'm a peds ICU nurse and would be an excellent neighbor for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grah! Stop eating my comments blogspot! ANYHOO! Congrats to you both on getting through the app. process. There were definitely tons of personal statements and corrections flying over here. Next step will be flying people (for interviews). Ha!

    Oregon eh? I hear it's nice out there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just went through this exact same thing for Internal Medicine - crazy to think how far we've come as 4th years but still how far we have yet to go for our sweet DrH to finally practice. Love to follow your blog as a fellow medical spouse. Your little Liam is beautiful :) Good luck to you guys! Interview season will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. same here! 35 programs later in EM! i have so many feelings about this whole process ranging from thrilled to terrified. you're welcome to shoot me an email if you guys find yourselves in phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you through the "From a Doctors Wife" blog! Congrats on submitting residency applications and I'm sure the interviews will start rolling in! My husband finished Ortho residency last year and is doing a 1 yr Sports Medicine fellowship. Can't believe we're almost done! Your little boy is absolutely gorgeous by the way! thewittylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]