1.03.2014

Liam | 6 months

Oops.  Liam's technically 6.5 months old today.  I'm way late in writing this.  Naturally.  But he didn't have his 6 month doctor appointment until today, so I'm claiming it's okay ;) 


Growth & Looks
Well, Liam is a growing boy!  At 6.5 months, he weighed in at 18 pounds, 5 ounces and 26.75 inches long.  He seems huge to me but is obviously perfectly average.  I mean, even the back of his hands are pudgy!  See the rolls above.   I'm just in the process of switching his clothing over to 6-9 month clothing, and his toes are already reaching the end of his 6-9 month sleepers. 



His hair is filling out/in again on the sides and back, after some unfortunate/only-cute-on-a-baby balding.  It's light brown in color (when freshly washed!).   Eyes?  Still unbelievably blue. 

No teeth yet at 6 months, but drools like mad.  His pediatrician today deemed his gums still "squeaky clean." 

Sleeping
I can't wait for the day to be eager to update this category.  Liam's still a stinker at night.  There has been exactly one time that Liam has gone the entire night without eating, but I can't technically include that in his 6 month update, because it was last week, and he was still awake in the middle of the night, just not eating.  Maybe two nights a week he will sleep soundly, waking up once to eat in the 2-4am range but no other times.  Other nights he eats once but whines or wakes up and plays in his crib.  Still other nights there are hours of crying. It's a struggle and a battle.


Eating
Liam had his first oatmeal bottle on Dec 7 at 5.5 months old, in hopes that it would help him sleep better.  Indeed, he has improved since we tried that, sleeping longer and waking less frequently.  I've been able to drop to only one nighttime feeding, which is great.  The unfortunate part is that after about a week of having oatmeal in a nighttime bottle, Liam decided that it was for the birds and started refusing bottles.  All bottles.  This child is stubborn. 

On Liam's half birthday, we celebrated with squash.  He wasn't too sure about the texture but ate about a tablespoon without complaint. 


Hobbies
In random, bullet point order, sweet things that Liam does that I don't want to forget:
  • Covers his eyes with the backs of his hands when he's falling asleep
  • Holds onto my cheek (or nose, if I'm not careful) while eating, and on to one of each of our cheeks while praying at night before bed.  
  • Discovered the joy of pulling his pacifier out and putting it back in (halleluiah!), or turning it sideways to gnaw on it. 
  • Finally realized that I have hair (maybe this is a sign that it ends up in a ponytail too often?).  He started by gently stroking my hair, but quickly progressed to grabbing handfuls of it and shoving it in his mouth, which he then immediately regrets ;)  He also always finds those tender little hairs at the back of my neck and uses them as a handle.  
  • Tries to give me kisses (or so I claim).  Liam will go full open mouth at my cheek, which is probably just an attempt to use my cheek as a teething toy, but I'll take it as affection.  Speaking of teething toys, my chin is one of Liam's favorites.  I have to be quick to dodge that little barracuda.
  • Grabbing.  Everything.  Anything.  His toys.  His feet. His pacifier.  That pen on the table.  Mom's phone (which is surely a toy for him, since it lights up and makes noise).  Everything goes straight to his mouth.
  • Peek-a-boo.  He has finally started giggling more, which is beyond precious.  A high pitched "peek!" will make him giggle, no actual peek-a-boo motions required.  So lazy mom style, technically.  
  • Playing the piano with his mama.  
 

Firsts
Aside from his first foods...Liam had his first Thanksgiving!  (and second, but who's counting).  He got to meet some new family members, too!
 

Liam sat unsupported (for more than 10 seconds) on 12.12, which was convenient, as that was the day we had his 6 month photo shoot.  Here's the first picture I snapped of him sitting solo:

 

In anticipation of his 6 month photos, we took the plunge and scheduled Liam a haircut.  Ridiculous, I know.  The rat tail had to go though!



This child has still not rolled from back to front, and lasts about 15 seconds max on his belly before rolling over.  I genuinely think he won't crawl!  

Technically an "only" rather than a first, but we had Liam dedicated at church.  Didn't he look handsome?  Those pants would barely go up over his cloth diaper!


This is such a fun age!  Liam is so curious and interested in everything. It's so much fun to watch him learn and discover every day.  Here's to month number 7!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I am so glad that I did! Our stories are so similar it's a tad scary! My husband and I are high school sweethearts, survived a 4 year long distance relationship through college, got married, and my husband is a 2nd year medical student! We are hoping to start a family soon as well! It's encouraging to find a blog like yours who has a relationship with the Lord, a great relationship with her hubby and a positive outlook on medical school! So many blogs that I find with regards to medical school are so discouraging. I am excited to follow your journey through residency and wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, and so much hair! Also I love love those shots of your hands on the piano.

    But you poor girl with the sleep... we were basically sleeping through the night but regressed a bit this week, and it's killing me! I can't believe you've survived this long :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]