1.06.2014

Residency interviews...uno mas!

Yay for Medical Mondays!  Perhaps the only time I write a post about something other than the bambino ;)

My husband is a fourth year medical student and is nearing the end of his residency interviews.  In case you're unaware, this whole process is kind of sort of totally crazy.  Thus far, my husband has been on 15 interviews, with one more remaining.   Of these 16 total, he will have driven to 13 interviews and flown to three.  Had he been able to drive to these places in the most logical order without coming home in between, it would have taken him 39 hours in the car.  However, with the way that interviews panned out, he ended up with eight road trips that totaled around 80 hours of driving.  Thank goodness for audiobooks, right?  I would have literally lost my mind. 

Here's a peak at the trail my husband has taken.  This is in the logical order, not in the actual order of the interviews.  You can guess the three that were flights instead of road trips!  


I'm quite excited for this process to be completed, for a multitude of reasons.  It will be nice to have my husband home again, because while it's cute that Liam gets excited, reaches for his dad and smiles at him while we're Facetiming, it's also a little heartbreaking.  Likewise, it will be wonderful to actually start making our rank list and narrowing the possibilities.  It's a little crazy to think that we already have cut the list by about half when we canceled a bunch of interviews, and to know there are some places that he probably won't rank. 

There's about a 99% chance that we'll be moving in June and leaving our comfortable, happy little bubble where we've lived the past nine (holy cats - that's a third of our lives!) years.  The chances that it's out of state are high too.  We are surprisingly okay with that.  We're just resting in the fact that no matter where we end up, it's exactly where God wants us to be, even if it's hard for us to see.  Having that mindset also takes a little bit of pressure off of us too ;)  We figure if we don't leave now, we never will, and that also means we might not appreciate "home" as much as we should.   That being said, if we didn't end up too far from home, I don't think we'd be that disappointed!

So, uno mas.  Then residency interviews are over.  Our match list is due by February 26th.  Match Week begins on March 17, when applicants find out if they matched.  March 21st is THE MATCH DAY, where we find out where we'll be for the next three, and potentially six/seven, years.  Holy mackerel.  This is getting real!

 

19 comments:

  1. Yay for our husband being almost done. I'm sure he is SO ready to be finished. My husband did close to the same amount and was exhausted by the end of it! I know you will be thrilled to get your husband back too :)

    As far as going somewhere different, we moved 19 hours from our family. I can honestly say it was one of the best things for us as a couple. You learn to be an even better team, you solidify as a family, and you grow closer today. Granted it can be hard to be away from extended family... But we were really grateful for getting to spend 5 years in a new place :)

    Good luck! It is an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this might sound bizarre, but I find so much comfort in your posts. My boyfriend is a first year medical student and your blog is like a glimpse into my future. I always look forward to seeing a new post on your blog! XO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is a third year medical student and I know what you mean Miranda...although it is amazing how quickly it all goes by. Never thought I would say that!

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I'm amazed that this moment of our life was a year ago! You will survive it, so try to enjoy it! Can't wait to see where you all end up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up with Medical Mondays! Fellow doctors wife here and I totally remember the nervousness and stress that residency interviews can cause. It really is an incredible start to a roller coaster of a journey but it will fly by and be totally worth it in the end. You guys have so many options wow! It is really hard moving away from family I did 7 years in my husbands residency/fellowship and its tough but you're stronger than you know and get through it. I noticed some dots in the Detroit area. Email me if you end up there or have any questions. Thats where we are heading for his first job :) Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more is so exciting! You'll always reminder this time with excitement and nervousness mixed into one. Looking forward to seeing where you guys end up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! what a journey! all worth it in the end. i hope to be experiencing this soon! so glad all his travels were safe ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the map! How did you make it? I'd love to make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! Stopping by via MM Blog Hop! Good luck with your move - sounds quite exciting!

    Ray Doc Wife

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY DAYS ARE CLOSE AT HAND! I remember match day like it was yesterday.... A very exciting day to say the least! Moving is always stressful, but FUN! A whole new place full of adventures and friends! Just get really involved in your church and baby Liam will for SURE bring tons of people wanting to munch all over him! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found your blog through Medical Mondays...and SO glad I did! I too am married to a medical student (MSIII) and I always love finding other med student wives that are not just surviving but thriving:) I must admit I am a bit jealous that you guys are on the home stretch. I know its terrible to wish my life away...but its hard not to at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from MM -- My husband is MS4, too, and waiting to find out where we're going to end up (also most likely moving) drives me nuts at times!! Good luck to you!!

    Also -- I loved the map! Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by from MM! Congrats on being done the interview process. I remember it like it was yesterday and it was an interesting time for sure. Good luck! And what a cute baby boy you have :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up with Medical Mondays! I love the chart:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by from MM!
    Congrats on being just about done with interviews. This is a really stressful time, but you'll be looking back on it in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 2014 is going to be an exciting year for you! Can't wait to hear where you end up! What a map-- and kudos to your husband for all that driving! I never could've survived all those hours in the car!!! Thanks for linking up for MM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 2014 is going to be and exciting and BUSY year for you!! Can't wait to hear where you end up! Thank for linking up for MM!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Luck! I have also been telling myself the same thing. That I will end up where God wants me, its always very exciting. What specialty is your husband going into?

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so close to being done and to embark on your next adventure. I started my blog during my husband's residency right after we were married to find some humor during what can be a challenging time. Wishing you the best of luck and can't wait to hear about the match!!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me! Don't forget - if you don't have your email address visible on your blogger profile, I won't be able to respond directly to you via email.

[Super-sweet reminder to family and friends: please refrain from mentioning the Hubby's name, school or our city. Thanks ;)]